Voting & Veterans Day

Midterm elections tend to bring with them endless radio spots, television commercials, and more yard signs on the side of the road than anyone can count. Sure, there is negativity, accusations, and confrontation that takes place, but this is all a small price to pay for freedom and democracy. 

On Election Day, November 7th 2018, I sat in a crowded church sanctuary, awaiting my turn to exercise my right to vote….to fulfill my civic duty. The duty millions of soldiers in the United States Military fought and died for me to have and to exercise. (Sidenote- I don’t believe it is any coincidence that Election Day and Veteran’s Day fall within the same week on the calendar).


While waiting, I heard numerous sighs, groans, and complaints about the length of the line. I could have easily been frustrated with taking an hour and half out of my Tuesday to wait in a crowded room. I could have been frustrated that it took me 3 laps around the parking lot to find a space, but I chose differently.

I chose to be grateful for the veterans who fought for my right to vote. I chose to use the time I waited in line to pray for my country, its current leadership, future leadership, and citizens. I chose to be thankful this election had a record voter turnout! I chose hope. What did you choose? What will you choose? Regardless of the outcome of the election in your city, county, state, region, or country….what will you choose?

Will you look a veteran in the eye and tell them “Your time overseas wasn’t worth me waiting in an hour long line”? Will you tell a soldier that they’re wasting their time defending our rights and honor? Or, will you honor their sacrifice? Will you volunteer to welcome them home? What. Will. You. Choose.

“My dad came home on leave during his tour to Afghanistan. Picking Him up from the airport was one of the best moments of my life. I was so happy to have him home- safe and sound.” 

Choosing Bravery,

Kaylee Ewing
Miss International 2018

Comments

Popular Posts