Germany

First things first, let me say "Guten Tag" (good day in German!) since my next destination after leaving Holland was Hanover and Berlin, Germany. I headed to Hanover to meet with IDA global partners from the Germany Dyslexia Association, otherwise known as Bundesverband Legasthenie und Dyskalkulie! The IDA networks with dozens of countries to share information about dyslexia treatment, research, and legislation and I traveled here to introduce myself to our German counterparts, share best practices, and speak to them about our current situation here in the U.S. regarding dyslexia awareness, intervention, research, legislation and technology.

I'd love to tell you a little bit about the city of Hanover. It is the capital city of the part of Germany known as Lower Saxony and is home to just over 500,000 people. This city is a major center and is well known for hosting annual expos, conferences, hosts the second largest Oktoberfest in the world, and also the World Trade Show! With all of these amazing offerings you'll be surprised at what I choose to write about next....

While here for the day, I had a chance to marvel at their McDonald's menu in German! I know this sounds silly but it was really strange to see their translations for our American fast food dishes! For instance, 1 Klassiker represents a quarter pounder sandwich, and if you want fries you have to order pommes frittes (same as French translation I do believe!). I was relieved to see that some things are similar or the same do to trade marking. I was relieved to learn that a Happy Meal is still a Happy Meal and a McSundae is still a McSundae! I have to admit, that I was glad to see American fast food but a little bit afraid that once I ordered in German I might not get what I really wanted! It reminded me of the movie, Annie, when she takes all the orphans to an expensive restaurant at the end and accidentally orders mush because she didn't understand what the foreign words meant! As it turned out, I ended up getting a great sandwich, fries, and a coke- just what I'd hoped for. I always try local cuisine and enjoy learning about new foods, however, after spending weeks in another country, you'd be surprised at the familiar things that you start to crave!

McDonald's Menu in German

Next stop was Berlin, Germany. The most efficient way to get there is via non other than the infamous Autobahn! I have to admit that it was a little bit intimidating but overall it was really, really fun!!! I'd love to tell you all that I was in a luxury Ferrari coasting down the Autobahn, but the truth is that I was in a compact car with a 4-cylinder manual shift, that had very little get-up-and-go! So, I watched the luxury fast cars zoom by from the safety of the slow lane! When I arrived in Berlin I received the red carpet treatment as I entered the Ritz Carlton- Berlin. I was so shocked to receive such a huge welcome. They explained that they were thrilled to host me as Miss Teen International and wanted to make sure that my time in their city was perfect!

Ritz Carlton - Berlin

First, our room was upgraded to a suite that boasted the most unbelievable and gorgeous panoramic views of the city. Then, I was shocked to receive an invitation to a cocktail reception for VIP guests! I was treated to gourmet foods, desserts, and my mom even got to sample lots of fine wine (but for me it was ice water with lemon all the way!!!).

Later that evening I had the privilege of speaking about my platform and what advances are being made here in the United States in regards to education and dyslexia and signed autographs which is always so much fun! I met so many amazing people from all walks of life who shared their experiences with me. I love speaking out about dyslexia because it opens the door for other people to talk about their own struggles with me. I'm always amazed by the number of people who come up to me after I speak to tell me about themselves, their mom or dad, son or daughter, or sometimes a friend. Many have never been diagnosed but have always known that something just wasn't right. It seems that my willingness to tell my personal journey is freeing for many people who have struggled in silence. Sometimes it feels like no one else in the world could possibly understand how we feel at our lowest moments, but, I have truly found through my role as Miss Teen International, that once I'm willing to put myself out there, people do open up. It's a common bond that's formed immediately because there's the realization that we're all in the same boat!

The next day we were set up with a private guide to see the city. Our guide's name was Roland and he was the absolute best. He took us to see all the important and historical sites that Berlin has to offer and made sure that we learned a lot about Berlin. Did you know that Berlin is the capital city and one of 16 states in Germany?

The Berlin Bear

There are over three million people who call Berlin their home and enjoy its worldly mix of culture, politics, universities, theater and arts, museums, and even film. In fact, the Berlin Film Festival was just finishing up when we arrived! It was amazing to actually see what remains of the Berlin Wall that once divided East from West Berlin, to stand in front of Checkpoint Charlie, and to view the East side Gallery which stands as an international memorial for freedom (it's a small section of the Berlin Wall that still stands where artists have painted around 100 scenes documenting this monumental time of change).

Checkpoint Charlie

I got to see the iconic landmark of Berlin, the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag building that houses the German Parliament, the beautiful Berlin Cathedral on Spree Island, Postdamer Platz, Schloss Charlottenburg (the largest existing palace in Berlin), the infamous TV tower,  and the Holocaust Memorial.

Berlin Cathedral

My favorite site of all was the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. This church was built in the 1890's but was badly damaged during a bombing attack in 1943. The damaged spire of this historical church has not been restored and stands as a stark reminder of the trauma once induced upon this vibrant city and its people. It is truly moving to see.

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

To top off our sightseeing, our guide Roland, treated us to a local but infamous dining spot called Curry 36. Our seasoned guide, expert chef and local restaurateur, and Berlin local tells us that Currywurst 36 is not only the best Currywurst in town but it's also a true Berliner experience in and of itself. When we approached the restaurant it was quaint, yet bustling with people dining on their lunch break. the first thing I noticed was that everyone was eating their food at bistro tables STANDING UP! The only two people who were sitting were two women who looked to be American. As I've mentioned before, I live by the saying, "when in Rome do what the Romans do", so again, "I did as the German's do" and stood while I sampled my traditional Berlin lunch! Currywurst is a fast food German dish made from hot pork sausage that is cut up into slices and seasoned with curry sauce. Curry sauce is tasty and is made from combining ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and curry and then drizzling over top of the Currywurst. This dish is traditionally served with French fries or bread rolls (mine was served with fries which were great!). The German's add an interesting twist to eating French fries: instead of dipping them into ketchup they dip their fries into mayonnaise! I gave it a try and loved the Currywurst, loved the fries, but will stick to ketchup in lieu of mayonnaise!

Currywurst

Auf Wiedershehen (Goodbye),

Jessica Byington

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts