Ugive

Hello friends!

For the past year I have had the unique opportunity to represent one really special non-profit organization called Ugive. This organization was founded by Cris Collinsworth, former NFL player and NBC Sports correspondent, and Deanna Castellini in an effort to help high schoolers find their passion through fun and meaningful community service activities. Having always been avidly involved in community service from a very young age, being a teenager myself, and also being a crown holder made for a perfect fit.

Throughout the year I have worked to develop community service projects that interest high schoolers, get them involved in something that they enjoy, and also assist them in getting the volunteer hours that are generally required for high school graduation.

Ugive Crew

Ugive has empowered me to represent their organization at the annual Jefferson Awards in Washington, DC, as well as sent me to Capitol Hill to meet with Senators and Governor's from all over the United States in lobbying efforts to expand Ugive on a national level. It's been a really exciting, eventful, and fun year with the Ugive team. I'd like to share one of the many memorable highlights.......

This past January I received a call from the founders of Ugive asking me to attend a meet and greet with Shaquille O'Neal, to present the Ugive Community Service Challenge Award to the winning high school at half time, and sit courtside to watch the Cavaliers play up close and personal! Hhhmmmm......let me think about this one......Yes!!!! So, before I knew it, Ugive had me on a plane back to my home state of Ohio, staying in the lap of luxury at the Fairmont Hotel, and meeting with larger than life (quite literally) Shaq! They have really gone above and beyond for me in so many ways.

The winning high school was The Lakota West Lady Firebirds basketball team which is basically where I grew up. I have lots of friends from Lakota which was a super great bonus! The girls team was recognized for their outstanding service project and school participation during a service week challenge. The team, along with help from Lakota student government, teamed up with Reach Out Lakota and began their week long service by collecting clothing and canned goods upon game entry. The team also purchased holiday gifts for 96 children throughout the Lakota Local School District through the "Adopt of Child" Christmas program. The final service event included the Second Annual Foundation Game for the Kristin Renneker Memorial Scholarship which raised a total of $3,700!!! Dozens of schools competed for this rare opportunity to get one on one time with Shaq and these girls managed to beat out all of their competition! They were so deserving of this opportunity!

Fast forward to game day. The Lakota girls are all gathered and waiting eagerly to meet Shaq, as am I. Thanks to one of the founders, Deanna Castellini, I was even able to bring my little brother along to meet Shaq, too! He was ecstatic!!!

UGive Co-Founder Deanna Castellini

Finally, Shaq comes out and starts shaking hands and talking to everyone and congratulating the winning team. No one could have prepared me for the sheer magnitude of this man! You have to consider that I am only 5'3" tall and I weigh about 100 pounds soaking wet (as my mother always says!). I'm not kidding when I tell you that I come up to the man's hip bone! When we took photographs he had to sit back onto the half wall and slouch down to avoid one of us being cut out of the picture!!! He was incredibly nice, down to earth, and when I told him that my little brother was nearby and hoping to meet him, he gladly went to get him for a handshake and a photo! We spent time chatting, signing autographs, and then Shaq had to get back to his team, after all, they had a game to play!


Courtside seats were amazing and it was so exciting to watch the Cav's score 46 points in the first quarter! This got the game off to an exciting start and the best part was watching Lebron James and Shaquille O'Neal shut out the LA Clippers with a 96-81 victory!

After the events of the day were over, I was lucky enough to be invited to join the founder of Ugive and a few executives for a private dinner with Shaq at a nearby hotel. I remember thinking that if someone pinched me I just might wake up.... this had to be a dream! At the end of the evening Shaq even asked me for a photo with my autograph which was surreal!

I spent the next day shopping in downtown Cleveland with family and friends and even went to the coolest chocolate bar in the world which is appropriately named "The Chocolate Bar". For those who know me well you know that I'm a sucker for chocolate and this place is a chocolate lover's fantasy. We had strawberries to dip in fresh chocolate, chocolate bar baguettes, and chocolate bar pasta (fresh pasta tossed with white chocolate cream, fresh basil, white pepper and white wine), INCREDIBLE!!! It's a must do if you're ever in Cleveland!

My best friend Blaire & Me at The Chocolate Bar

At times like these, I take pause to remember the reason that I'm here and that I have these once in a lifetime opportunities. Having the title of Miss Teen International has opened so many doors, so many minds, and so many hearts. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, thank you to Mary and Mel Richardson. You may not be with me in person as I travel from place to place, however, you are in my heart with each and every country that I visit, every university, school, or conference in which I speak at, every child that I meet, every speech that I make, and every opportunity that unfolds for me as Miss Teen International. I'd also like to thank my family, friends, and supporters for caring enough to follow my journey.

Best wishes,

Jessica Byington

Comments

Popular Posts