Juliana McKee Featured in "Sweet Charity: Young Philanthropists"

Juliana McKee, featured in Capitol File Magazine as one of "the city's best and brightest women working the front lines of philanthropy."

"Sweet Charity: Wonder Women. Introducing the District's newest crop of female philanthropists". 
Juliana McKee, Miss Teen International 2010 is in the center.
 
According to their website, "Capitol File focuses its distribution on readers who frequent the finest establishments, including boutiques, coffeehouses, commercial and residential buildings, health clubs ... resorts, restaurants, salons, and spas, in addition to embassies, museums and private clubs." It is a large, beautiful, glossy magazine chock full of gorgeous images, fashion and interesting articles.

I first became aware of them when I appeared in their photo coverage of the Heart Ball in Washington.

At the Washington DC Heart Ball, appearing as Miss Teen District of Columbia International

Juliana McKee, then Miss Teen District of Columbia International, posing with some fellow American Heart Association volunteers

This is the picture of me at the Heart Ball that appeared in Capitol File

Because of my work on behalf of the American Heart Association they followed my progress and I was invited to join them for their 5th Anniversary Celebration at the Corcoran Museum of Art. That was a lot of fun and very interesting.

At Capitol File Magazine 5th Anniversary Celebration with other guests in front of their giant cake!

I'm always accompanied to these events with one of my parents, though my Dad is usually on the other side of the camera!

Miss Teen International gets her turn in front of the paparazzi!

Miss Teen International with Jason Binn, Publisher of Capitol File Magazine

Here I am with Tim Gunn: He told me "You're a knockout!"

Here I am with a former Miss DC America. She was very interested in the International Pageant System!

It was at about that time that they contacted us and told us they would like to feature me in their Holiday Edition as one of the up and coming young female philanthropists in the Washington area!

Juliana McKee, Miss Teen International 2010

"Meet nine of the city's best and brightest women working the front lines of philanthropy."
Juliana McKee, Miss Teen International 2010, is first, on the left.
Photo by David Peterson.

Capitol File Magazine's Holiday Edition Cover features Kerry Washington.






Juliana McKee, Miss Teen International 2010

Spokesperson for the American Heart Association and the Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
I have to tell you, the excitement of seeing myself in Capitol File Magazine's Holiday Edition in the company of eight other AMAZING young women is matched only by the experience of the photoshoot itself! That was so neat I'm going to dedicate a separate blog to it... coming soon!

I also have to say that while it is exciting to have this attention, it is also humbling. The only reason I have this opportunity is because of all the people who have generously and graciously responded to my pleas to help me support the work of the American Heart Association and its Alliance for a Healthier Generation.


In addition to the American Heart Association, I have to say "thank you" to my corporate sponsor Ricoh, my family and friends, the Redskins (especially Donovan McNabb!) and others who have banded together to make wonderful and critical events like "Recess by the River" possible.

I will always be grateful to Ricoh for their generous support of my efforts on behalf of children's health and the American Heart Association and their Alliance for a Healthier Generation!

It was rainy, but it was such an honor to be down on the field at halftime to receive an award on behalf of the American Heart Association!

The whole Redskins organization has made children's health a part of their mission, led by Donovan McNabb (on the right) who has been chosen as the 2010 Redskins Health Ambassador. Donovan teaches kids that adopting healthy habits early in life is the first step in showing that together we can beat heart disease.

Donovan McNabb has always been as kind and friendly as he is tirelessly generous in his efforts on behalf of the issue of children's health.

Finally, I would like to thank the International Pageant System for being the motivator behind young women like me who want to gain experience in how to be of service to society. It was the journey to becoming Miss Teen International that brought me to the attention of Capitol File Magazine -- and I will never forget that!
 
In keeping with International Pageant's platform-focus and dedication to highlighting young women's accomplishment through community service, Miss Juliana McKee will continue her work on behalf of the American Heart Association's Alliance for a Healthier Generation, which promotes heart health and healthy eating and exercise choices to children and teens.
 
Juliana McKee

Comments

Popular Posts