Nationals

Nationals in Chicago was like no other pageant I have competed in before! The competition was different of course, but I really loved that all the contestants got to go out in the community while we were there. Going to the Boys & Girls Club was my favorite!!
There were many great events throughout the week where we all got to dress up – rehearsals included! Rehearsals were long of course, but I felt really prepared during competition & the girls were a lot of fun to chat with during our down time.






I had a great support team with me all week. My mom was my only family member that was able to come, but it didn’t feel like it at all! Miss Texas Teen International, Sydney Datcher, brought a whole crew with her, & they cheered for me just like I was their own!


And then of course there is our director, Kristin. Kristin got the Director of the Year Award, & man oh man did she deserve it!! She was the perfect mix of help & motivation. She let me know that she was there if I needed her and that it was fine if I didn’t. She was so helpful with hair & make-up tips (It was always – “Ashley you need bigger hair!!” – that’s how we do it in Texas!), but she also gave me encouraging cards & a beautiful bouquet of roses. I truly believe that she does not care whether we win or lose, and it’s such a great feeling to know that you have someone who is proud of you no matter what!


I couldn’t believe it when I was awarded fitness, evening gown, & fun fashion! I have to say it again – thank you to my mom for letting me design my own fun fashion outfit & sewing it all by hand! You are so unbelievable. My one real goal in life is to be a wonderful Momma like you!


Overall, the week in Chicago was tiring but really fun! I really did love getting to know the girls (Hey girl hey!), & I hope I get to travel to their states & make appearances with them. I am so excited to be Miss International 2010 & to work with our wonderful sponsors!!



On top of all that, I get to spread my message of Breast Cancer Awareness & Early Detection on an international level, while also being a part of the Go Red For Women movement. I know I have big shoes to fill following Erin Golden, but I am sure going to try. Thinking about the year ahead makes me so hopeful, & I know I will make the most of it! Thank you to everyone who made this possible!!

Ashley Smith

Comments

Popular Posts