Being Belle

Dancing with the Beast during the song “Beauty and the Beast"

As many of you know, I have spent 5 weeks this fall in rehearsals for the Broadway Musical version of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. Back in February of last year I took a chance and auditioned for the role of my dreams with a theatre company I respected and admired but had never had the courage to audition for. After a callback process and a couple weeks of waiting, I’ll never forget the email I received from Theatre Royale with the subject line: “Belle.”

My heart pounded as I opened that email and read these words, “YOU WIN, So happy to have you on board for Belle!”

Performing “A Change In Me”

After that email, I eagerly anticipated starting rehearsals in August and performing our shows in September. It seemed like August would never come but as is usually the case when you’re busy, all of a sudden, it just snuck up on me.

I couldn’t have done any of this without the support of my husband. He always made sure he was home from work on time for me to get to rehearsals. Even when they made last minute changes and asked me to arrive earlier than scheduled. I feel so thankful to have a husband willing to pick up some extra slack, just so I can pursue a long-time dream.

Greeting show-goers after our performance

Five days before the show opened, we were able to move into the theatre venue and were able to practice on the actual stage. That whole week was a whirlwind. We had rehearsal from 10:00 AM - 11:00 PM. I would leave rehearsal and drive straight home to sleep and (hopefully) stay as healthy as possible.

Posing with “The Beast” before the show

Finally Friday came, the day we opened the show. I was surprised that I wasn’t too nervous. I had been praying about this day and had a lot of family members praying for me as well. I truly feel God surrounded me with His peace and calmed me in a way that only He can do. Just as He had done for me the week of Mrs. International.

That first show was so much fun but each show after got progressively more and more fun for myself and the entire cast.

After four sold-out shows, we had our final curtain-call and did our final bows. Later that evening it hit me that it was actually over... no more rehearsals, no more late nights, no more studying my script and no more Beauty and the Beast.

But I am also reminded that it was God who led me to that show with that cast at that theatre. I believe His will is perfect and I’m so excited to spend what's left of my year traveling as Mrs. International, sharing my platform with the world and making a difference in any way possible.

Final curtain-call with the entire cast

Together We Rise,

Your Mrs. International 2018

LAUREN WEEKS

Comments

Popular Posts