Writing Your Onstage Speech

I cannot believe that the 2013 Miss Teen International pageant is only three weeks away!! Time has really flown by for me, and I know that with all of the things you have had to do in preparation for competition, you are probably really beginning to feel the pressure!

As you know, during the competition you will receive a panel interview score and an onstage interview score, which is comprised of a 30 second speech and a platform-based question. I noticed that a lot of contestants focused more on being prepared for the question than their speech. However, your speech is very important!

As Miss Teen International 2012, I have used the information in my speech on many occasions because it provides a brief yet powerful overview of my platform. As a contestant, your speech is important to you because it determines your level of confidence and calmness going into your onstage question. If you nail your speech, you are sure to be able to deliver a confident and powerful answer onstage.

A great speech has two major components: content and delivery. You should include a brief summary of what your chosen platform is and why it is an important idea or organization. In other words, look at your platform page and choose the most important information. You are allotted a 30 second time period to deliver your speech. About 3 seconds before your time is up, you will hear the faint sound of wind chimes. The audience probably does not even hear this sound, but as a contestant, the wind chimes are an extremely stressful sound. Most girls tend to speed the last line (which was probably intended to be the most powerful) up. Make sure that you do not make your speech exactly 30 seconds, so you have adequate time to clearly deliver your speech.

This brings me to the second, and most important, component of the speech: your delivery. Because you have to memorize the speech, it is very difficult to sound passionate about what you are speaking about. My mom told me that I needed to speak in such a passionate way that every member of the audience would want to take part in the Miracle League and Shane's Inspiration because even if I did not win the crown, I had the perfect opportunity to teach hundreds of people about the organizations that are so close to my heart. In my opinion, it is more important to speak clearly and from your heart than to pack in tons of information! I hope this information is helpful as you write a speech of your very own!

I am looking forward to seeing you all very, very soon!

Caroline

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts