Staying Organized at Nationals

For those of you who know me closely, you know I am not always the most organized person. With the help of Mama Wanous, I always create a spreadsheet for long pageant weeks so I know what to grab between appearances. Below are examples of my 2012 and 2013 wardrobe spreadsheets. Now that I have done this a few times I don’t have to be quite as detailed but last year at nationals I had many columns for shoes, jewelry, and needed items like autograph cards or snacks if I was on the go during a meal time. Doing this just makes transitioning between events easy and quick. Sometimes you may only have 15 minutes to eat lunch, change clothes and be back in the lobby ready for head count. For these moments, you will thank me for this spreadsheet technique.

But the spreadsheet is not the only organizational tool that will help you stay calm. First, bring a garment rack with you to nationals! The closets are tiny and you will safe yourself a big headache by bringing an extra place to hang dresses. I also suggest organizing your wardrobe by day. You can make your spreadsheet more detailed than mine and separate each event by day. For example, I would take one large garment bag and label it “Monday”. Inside I would put the clothes I need for that day. Last year on Monday I needed an arrival outfit, unpacking outfit, going to family dinner dress, and my orientation dress. I put all these items in the bag and zipped it up. Then did the same thing for each day of the week. I had my accessories in a clear jewelry bag with multiple zip pockets that I hung on my garment rack next to my garment bags so I could easy check my spreadsheet and find the coordinating jewelry. I had all my shoes laid out around the perimeter of the room so I didn’t have to dig through a big clumsy bag. Doing these small simple things will save you time and stress in a big way. So, sit down with our official handbook schedule and figure out every single thing you will be doing on each day during competition week and start making a plan. I suggest bringing a handful of extra dresses just in case our agenda changes or you have an unexpected outing.


Other tips:
- Bring a plastic tablecloth to hang in your shower if you plan on spray tanning in your room.
- Bring a natural sleep aid to help quiet your mind after long days. Get as much sleep as possible!
- Bring small snacks you can throw in your bag and eat throughout rehearsals and outings.
- Bring a Tide to-go stick!
- Bring a lint roller.
- Always keep eyelash glue in your purse.
- Drink tons of water!
- Take a natural diuretic three days before finals night to get your skin toned and firm for stage.
- Take lots of pictures. You will want to remember this week forever.
- Smile and have fun!!


CHICAGO 2012


Event
Outfit
Shoes
Jewels/Other
Sat
MRS Finals
Black Peplum (Brie)
Black Pump
Rhinestone Balls and Bracelete
Mon
Arrival
Coral Dress
Nude
Rose Gold

Orientation 8pm
Cream Dress - Bri's
Strappy Nude
4 stone cream
Tues
Breakfast / sash
Blue BEBE Dress
Nude
Blue Cuff/gold metal dangle

Downtown Chicago Zoo
Lace Back Dress
Bling Bootie
Clear Gem Stone Necklace

Boys & Girls Club
Same



Dinner - Group Photo
Black  gown
Stripper
Rhinestones/Spanx

Inspiration Talk-cocktail
Same


Wed
Breakfast / sash
Purple Dress Bri's
Purple
Bri's jewels

Rehearsal
Green Sequin dress
Nude Strap
gold earrings and bracelete cuff

Lunch




Rehearsal
Red Cache Dress
Red Earrings
Red Ruffles

Princess Ball - Crown & Sash
New Pink Princess from Glitz
Junos
Big Rhinestones

Dinner -
Besty Johnson - White flower
Black Pump
Forever 21 Clip on Earrings and cuff

Rehearsal
same


Thurs
Breakfast / sash
Cream & gold foil dress
Gold Earrings
Nude Strappy

Private Interviews
White Peplum w/Seed Beads
Nude Strap
PIN, pearl AB Niila earrings

Lunch



Judges
Rehearsal
Black Corronation
Nudes
Big Black rhinestones

Teen Preliminaries
Red gown
Junos
Dangle ALDO Earrings
Fri
Breakfast / sash
Wht Blouse & Pleated blue skirt
Strappy Nude
Forever 21 cuff and clip on earrings
Judges
Reheasal
Aqua beaded Dress
Junos
Aqua Brie Earrings

Lunch
Water Color
Juno
Dark metal colored stone earrings
Judges
Rehearsal
Gold Sequins
Juno or Nude
Gold Cuff Gold earrings

Miss Prelimaries



Sat
Breakfast / sash



Judges
Reheasal
Cream & Gold Fun Fashion



Lunch
Red Ruffle with Black Pencil


Judges
Rehearsal
Pink Feather Cocktail



Finals




Coronation Ball
???



CHICAGO 2013

Event
Clothes
Car ride
Black Titlewear warm-up set
Mrs, Prelims
Mrs. Finals
White Rhinestone top dress
Purple Fringe Gown
Orientation
Orange Dress
Chicago Day
Purple jumpsuit
Dinner
White Winning Gown
Interview
White ruffle dress
Hospital
Blue belted dress
Autograph/pre-prelims
Red sequin back
Miss Prelims stage
Question: Black Mermaid
Awards: Pink FF Ruffle gown
Teen prelims
Black with big shoulders
Record speech, rehearsals
Beaded bottom white
Pre-finals
Gold Gown
Crowning
Question: Purple Fringe Gowns
Crowning: custom red


Other clothes to bring for out and about/back-ups:

Cocktails:
Feather pink
Blue sequins
Black sequin swirl
Purple sequins

Sundresses:
Bright Flowery
Thailand white
Thailand blue

Shoes:
Strappy nude
Old strappy nude back ups
Black gold heel
Fake Louies
Junos
8” Strippers


When you are done creating your spreadsheet, print it out, clip it to a pants hanger, and hang it on the end of your garment rack for easy access and visibility.
I hope this helps!

Krista Wanous
Miss International 2012

Comments

  1. This is fantastic! Thanks for a great article to help us prepare. It's so soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts