Crown and Sash Etiquette

There is a time and a place for the pageant crown and sash! Sometimes it is obvious when you should wear them and other times it isn't. Here are some scenarios and my opinion on which of these accessories you should wear to that event.

  • When you are around kids at a school, race, or anywhere else, the crown and sash is almost always the answer! I promise you will make so many kids’ days if they see a real princess at the event!

These children loved seeing me in both my crown and sash!

Children really admire pageant titleholders!

  • Media events are another opportunity to wear both the crown and sash. If you know a camera will be present, wear both. This isn't to show off but to publicize our system.

I was ready with my crown and sash on when arriving at the airport for a media interview after being crowned Miss Teen International this summer.

  • Most charity fundraisers also call for both the crown and sash. If the attire is formal or semi-formal, it is definitely appropriate. If not, proceed with caution.

Maggi, Samantha, and I all wore our crown and sash for an event to raise funds for scholarships.

It was also okay for me to wear my crown and sash to this March of Dimes event since it was formal.

  • Community Service: When volunteering, you don’t want the spotlight to be on you but on the people you are helping. Your sash is typically appropriate. If kids are involved, bringing your crown is probably okay.

Wearing my sash to the Miracle League was acceptable, and bringing my crown worked because kids were involved.

  • A sensitive group of people can be those that have an illness or have a loved one that is sick. This can be a situation where it is awkward to go all out with the crown and sash. I would recommend wearing your sash for the full event or just a portion of it and leaving the crown at home.

It was okay for me to wear my sash for a Pancreatic Cancer event but not my crown.

  • What about things that don’t pertain to the pageant specifically? For example, my recent college visits. No, I did not walk around campus all day with my sash on. It is definitely okay to bring your sash and put it on for a photo op in some scenarios. That way you can incorporate the event into the things you are doing with your title without putting yourself in an awkward situation.

By having these types of photos on college visits, I am relating it to my title without putting myself in an uncomfortable position.


Every pageant titleholder is attending different events, so everyone’s situation is a little different. If you have an event coming up and you are questioning what to wear, feel free to comment or send me a message. It is important to consider your audience and respect them, but I do recommend wearing your crown and sash as much as possible!

If you believe in something, believe in it all the way!

Blair Wortsmith
Miss Teen International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts