Did You Know?

While I was at the Race for the Cure, I noticed there were very few men participating. Most think of breast cancer as a woman’s disease – the color of awareness after all is PINK! But we can’t forget that this cancer affects men too. I must admit that I have not met many men who have breast cancer, but I remember at my state pageant one of the judges’ husbands had fought breast cancer (and won!), and she thanked me for remembering that it is not just a woman’s disease. She asked me to make sure that I made it part of my mission as Miss Texas International to spread awareness about breast cancer in men. I promised her I would! And so I have continued that as Miss International as well. I was very happy to see this sign at The Race.


It says: Komen for the CURE in honor of ALL women & men.

Ashley Smith

Comments

  1. Thank you for your reminder. I also run into this with my work to broaden awareness of symptoms for specific brain tumors in the pituitary gland. Men as well as women may lactate from their breasts no matter what their stage of life. It is hard for men to hear but it is the reality of these diseases.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts