#RecoveryHeroes - National Eating Disorders Awareness Week


National Eating Disorders Awareness Week strives to shine the spotlight on eating disorders and put life-saving resources into the hands of those in need. This year’s theme is It’s Time to Talk About It! Our goal is to help those in need get screened and identify the challenges our friends and family are facing.

#RecoveryHeroes celebrates all those who walk hand-in-hand with people who are struggling with eating disorders. It takes a village to overcome an eating disorder and it cannot be done alone. For so long, I thought that one day I’d wake up - symptom free - and immediately be healed from my eating disorder. I imagined that my eating disorder would heal itself and I wouldn’t need anyone’s help. These unrealistic expectations kept me deep inside this illness for three years.

I remember the night I told my parents like it was yesterday. It was one of the most painful, yet relieving, nights of my life. They embraced me with love and care, willing to do whatever they could to help. Within days of telling them my secret, they did research and helped me find a place for treatment. If I had told them earlier, I know that I wouldn’t have faced the depths I did. I could have gotten out before it got worse. Mom and dad created a safe space that the enemy of my heart convinced me would never exist. They helped save my life.

To this day, my #RecoveryHeroes help me through challenging situations. They hold me accountable and will call me out if any symptom arises. When I was preparing for Miss International, they worked to make sure I was preparing my body in a healthy way. I do my best to live a heart healthy lifestyle and always stay dedicated to recovery. God gave me a second chance at life and I don’t take that opportunity lightly. My #RecoveryHeroes fight against the enemy with me and I couldn’t do it without them!

Overcoming an eating disorder is a lifelong battle, but standing in victory over the enemy is a beautiful place. We were not created to walk through life alone and we need people through the good and bad seasons. If you’re struggling with an eating disorder, I encourage you to find a team of #RecoveryHeroes who will stand by your side as you fight for your life. I know that where you are is dark and scary but hope is around the corner… and it comes from speaking out and getting the help you need. Recovery is possible.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts