It's Okay To Ask For Help


It's disappointing that stigmas keep people from getting the help they need. I was in that position for many years; I get it. You consider asking for help… know you probably need it… yet remain silent out of fear. The enemy of our heart tells us that either people won't care or that they will judge you for “not measuring up.” It's a scary time and one that continues to drive you into depression and whatever your challenge is. That dark voice will hold you hostage until hope speaks out. Our culture has made it to where asking for help is a sign of weakness and terrible act.

For me, I was afraid that telling my parents and loved ones about the eating disorder I was facing would make them feel guilty - disappointed - and like it was their fault. I questioned if asking for help would even do anything. Would I even be able to overcome it? Would seeking help actually save me from this plague on my life? Would I ever be healthy and happy? Would my life forever be marked with an eating disorder?

It's okay to ask for help. It doesn't mean you are unworthy or broken. It means there is a sliver of hope. It means realizing that you were created for more. You have purpose and you're worth fighting for. Seeking out help is a sign of courage - not weakness. Forget the stigma around mental illness or seeking out a counselor… asking for help is worth it… and it's okay.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts