Just Read: Fighting Illiteracy Starts With Your First Book

I grew up in a world of Highlights Magazines and Little Golden Books.  I was introduced to a Cat in a Hat and although he wouldn’t eat Green Eggs and Ham, he couldn’t wait to tell me of the places that I would go and the things that I would do.  I got lost in the Ozarks with Old Dan and Little Ann while trying to find Where the Red Fern Grows.  And when I had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day, all I had to do was call my friend The Ladybug and she would be there in a flash.  Away in her Giant Peach we would go and the troubles of the day would be as good as lost in the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  My childhood was one fantastic adventure after the other. 
 
Like most people I don’t remember actually learning how to read.  One day I was in class playing phonics games and voila, it seemed like overnight I learned how to read and the world opened up to me.   But it was not magic.  I was fortunate enough to grow up in a house where educational materials were at my fingertips.  I soon learned that everyone was not so fortunate.

At 13 years old, I lost a very close friend of mine when her mother unknowingly signed away her parental rights because she could not read.   Until that moment, I thought everyone was like me and read every night before going to bed.  It never dawned on me that there were people without access to books or a parent who could read them bedtime stories.  This tragedy taught me that literacy is an essential skill that can mean the difference between a life of poverty and dependence and one of prosperity and empowerment. 

For this reason, my platform is, “Just Read: Fighting Illiteracy Starts With Your First Book.”   I have partnered with First Book, a national non-profit organization that provides books and grants to schools and organizations, with the aim of ensuring that all children have access to brand new, high quality educational materials.  In connection with First Book, I have launched a virtual book drive (http://supporters.firstbook.org/site/TR/Events/General?pxfid=1240&fr_id=1060&pg=fund).  My virtual book drive is a way that anyone can get involved in the fight to end illiteracy. For only $2.00, you can provide one child with a brand new book. You can’t even get a gallon of gas for $2.00, but, you can provide a child with the skills needed to become a self sufficient and confident adult.

I have also partnered with Reach Out and Read, a national organization that believes that the best way to immunize children against illiteracy is to read aloud to them.  I have traveled across Maryland reading to children in libraries and schools, hoping that just maybe I will spark their interest in reading.   

As Miss International, I will take my platform to the next level.  First, I want my reign to be “The Year of A Thousand Books.”  I will broaden my partnership with First Book while engaging more corporate sponsorships and donations, with the ultimate goal of raising enough funds to provide 1,000 books to children of limited means.  Second, in connection with Reach Out and Read, I will establish literacy friendly reading areas in pediatric centers throughout the country.   Third, I will travel throughout the country and abroad, sharing my favorite stories and love of reading with children. 
I have a lot that I want to accomplish, but, I have never been one to back down from a challenge.  I am excited about the year ahead of me and I hope that you will continue to follow my journey.

Best,
Ciji Dodds
Miss International 2011

Comments

Popular Posts