First Book teams up with America’s favorite Mouse to fight illiteracy!


What do you get when you combine a mouse that you would love to be in your house with breathtaking innovations and a passion for literacy...You get the Celebrating the Power of Imagination D23 Expo Storytelling event! Disney Publishing is one of First Book’s most generous corporate partners and they outdid themselves this time. On August 19, they donated $500,000 to First Book, as well as 8 million Disney books! Their contribution will provide millions of children with brand new books, putting them on the path to literacy.


Disney Publishing has been a staple in children’s book publishing and is the largest publisher of children’s books worldwide. My favorite Disney book is Mickey Mouse’s Picnic. As a child, I read it over and over and over again. I think I had it memorized! Like all things Disney, there was a lesson to be learned. I learned the importance of sharing and of honoring your friendships. I have found that the lessons that we learn as children ultimately shape our character as adults.


I can think of so many lessons that I’ve learned from reading a good book. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, taught me the importance of selflessness and unconditional love. Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss, taught me one of the toughest of all lessons, that there will be highs and there will be lows but, through it all you have the power to endure and choose your destiny. I can’t forget The Baby-sitters club! I learned that you can get through anything with a great group of girlfriends :)


Disney’s amazing contribution will put these life lessons and many more in the hands of children all over the world, one book at a time! Thank you Disney!!


 
Happy Reading!
Ciji Dodds, Miss International 2011

Comments

Popular Posts