D.C. Day 1

Our vacation in Washington D.C. began as soon as we landed. I absolutely love history so seeing the beautiful, old, ornate buildings is a dream come true. My parents and I were given a private tour of our Nation’s Capital building shortly after we settled in our hotel. I have seen photos of the inside of the Capitol in my history books, but they do not do it near enough justice. I could only imagine the officials who had walked the same halls as I did. Our tour guide, Charlie even took us through the underground tunnels that connect the House to the Capitol.

I was a special guest of Congressman Bruce Westerman and was able to spend time in his office with his Chief of Staff, and other staff members. Sitting at his desk was an unforgettable experience.

One of the coolest places I toured in the Capitol was the Whispering Room. There was a plaque marking where John Quincy Adam’s desk once sat. When we stood in that spot and our tour guide walked to the other side of the room, keep in mind this is a very large room, and whispered very softly, we could hear him as plain as day. Legend has it, Adams would lay his head down and pretend he was asleep so he could hear everything the employees were saying.


Our tour guide, Charlie. 

On top of the dome of the Capitol sits Lady Liberty. I never knew a sculpture of a person stood there until I saw an incredible replica. Once we were able to see the exterior of the Capitol’s dome I could identify Lady Liberty, symbolizing our freedom, resting there on the top.


Pardon the construction.

“Nothing is Impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible.” – Audrey Hepburn

Jules Fletcher
Miss Teen International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts