Is Make-up Bad?


I was recently at a speaking engagement for Girls Inc. in Dothan, Alabama! During the Q&A portion a young girl raised her hand to ask her question. “Miss Amanda, if you believe that you don’t need make-up to be beautiful… why do you wear it? Is it bad?”

Fantastic question!

With a smile on my face, I went over to her table and prepared to answer her question. I knew that my words about this topic had the ability to forever impact how this young girl would define beauty for the rest of her life. Today, I want to share with you all the same answer I had for her.

As young women, we are created with innate physical beauty and true beauty that shines from within. By investing in our mind, body, and spirit we are able to become the best version of ourself and therefore radiate to others better. Often times your appearance will open doors you may not otherwise have, but your true beauty and heart is what will truly change the world. You were given the unique looks and appearance you have for a reason and there is someone in the world that needs to see your inner and outer beauty. I wear make-up because it allows me to present myself in a polished manner. Of course I feel better about myself when I am intentional about investing in every part of who I am. However, at end of the day I am just as confident with make-up as I am without it. I know that I was fearfully wonderfully made - that fact is not sold at Sephora. It’s the same for you!

Is make-up bad? No. Things cannot be bad by nature; they become bad when sin comes into the picture. Make-up is made to enhance your innate beauty… not create it. If we rely on the cosmetics to bring us complete confidence or worth, that’s when the problem starts to arise. We must know what we are physically attractive both with and without it. If we only feel pretty while wearing it, then we are saying that our value comes from a bottle or compact. We need to cultivate a generation of young women who only wear make-up to enhance their professional and polished image with the knowledge that their true beauty is the only beauty that genuinely matters.

Experiences like these will always hold a special place in my heart. To the sweet Princess who asked such a thought provoking question at just 7 years old… thank YOU for allowing me to be part of your journey.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts