Progress Not Perfection


I am Miss International. I’m not perfect and never will be.

It’s easy to look at someone in the media and think they have it all together. We see airbrushed photos, stunning hair and make-up, materialistic goods and wonder how we’ll measure up. In an age where social media is prevalent, we are able to see someone’s highlight reel and compare it to our daily reality. Not many people highlight their challenging times, bad hair days, and times when their laundry is everywhere. Instead, most choose to talk about the good in their life and leave out the not so pretty parts. When we compare our reality to highlight reels of others… we are most surely going to feel perplexed and unworthy. No one person has it all together - even if it seems like it on social media. Perfection isn’t real and real people aren’t perfect.

When we strive for perfection… we find ourself on an endless journey with no real destination. During my struggle with an eating disorder, I wanted to have the “perfect life” and “perfect body.” What does that even mean? I look back at my journey and think about where my eyes were set. I spent so much time trying to have it all together that I actually was tearing my life apart. I withdrew from activities I loved, stopped doing creative things, and wouldn’t talk to people. If I couldn’t do it perfectly… I wouldn’t do it. And seeing as nothing can be done “perfectly”… I didn’t do much. I was just treading water instead of moving forward.

The idea of perfection is unrealistic and unattainable. Progress, on the other hand, allows us to realize where we were… where we are… and where we are going. It’s not about having the “perfect life” or “perfect body” but we can strive to reach our personal best each day. We can celebrate the small victories and miracles then learn from the challenges face. Each day we have the opportunity to grow more and more into the person we were created to be.

No day or person is going to be “perfect”… but that doesn’t mean it can’t be beautiful. Often times the most beautiful moments come from the most challenging moments. Once we recognize that it’s not about being perfect, we learn to enjoy each moment of the ride and strive for our progress toward our personal best. Reaching our fullest potential is a much better gauge of success than perfection.

What aspect of your life do you see the lies of perfectionism penetrating your mind and thoughts? Take a moment to be introspective. I would encourage you to journal about what your facing and be honest with yourself. Are you trying to live up to an unrealistic ideal?

If you are battling perfectionism, I’ve been there and I know it’s hard. I am cheering you on and believing in you. I encourage you to take it one day at a time, learn to laugh at yourself, and remember that society’s highlight reel cannot compare to the beauty your life has.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts