The Power of Sweat Equity


Everyone wants to succeed. As humans, we thrive off accomplishments and the doors they open. However… not everyone is willing to do the work it takes to succeed. It’s easy for us to look at the obstacle before us and think, “There is no way I’ll overcome that.” Maybe you’ve said to yourself, “I always wanted to become a (insert dream here), but I’m not sure I could actually do it.” The truth is that our dreams don’t work unless we do.

Our fear or lack of effort stops us in our tracks and prevents us from becoming all that we were created to be! If you have a dream placed on your heart… it’s there for a reason. Don’t let up or give up, no no. Step into your dream with confidence that it will come to fruition with the power of sweat equity.

My definition of sweat equity…the undeniable effort, toil and passion a person puts forth to reach a dream or vision.

While preparing for Miss International and growing True Beauty Movement, it would have been easy to give up. There were atleast 3 opportunities per day where I could have let up on my practice or given up faith. Instead, I worked harder and put in more sweat equity than ever before. I took every challenge that came my way and allowed it to ignite my passion and efforts. The 12 months leading up to the crown were not easy… my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor, I left my corporate job, and suffered a severe back injury… but my sweat equity was more powerful than whatever came my way. Tangibly, I had to do things a bit different.

*I had to admit what I didn’t know. 

Sometimes asking questions can be the biggest obstacle. We become fearful that our question will seem dumb or not be understood correctly. Suzy Bootz helped me learn how to better sell myself. I had to learn how to clearly articulate who I am without feeling like I was coming across as disingenuous or arrogant. Confident humility is extremely important to me, but I only had 5 minutes with each judge and they needed to know what God was doing in my life.

*I had to be 100% transparent with my team.

I struggled with an eating disorder for three years and I knew that the enemy of my heart would be quick to try and take me down when it came to preparing for Fitness Wear. Throughout my journey to Miss International, I worked with a psychologist to make sure I was staying dedicated to recovery and strong in my personal journey. We talked about things that were hard to discuss, created plans to strengthen my recovery, and used my faith to keep me grounded. It wasn’t easy, but looking back… working with this psychologist played a key role in my success.

*I had to make sacrifices.

My heart longed to become Miss International and because of that, I was willing to do what it took to prepare for the job to the best of my abilities. I woke up earlier so I could nourish my body and get a great workout in, I spent extra time learning about myself and creating a business plan to implement if I were to win, and I sold my extra pageant clothing so that I had the resources to purchase a competition attire represented who I was and who I was dedicated to becoming. Each sacrifice was absolutely worth it, because I gained more than I ever gave up. Even had I not won, I am a better Amanda today because of what I did to prepare.

Anyone can have natural talent but when you are willing to put in the sweat equity… you will see your dreams reach new heights. Put in the work, don’t wait for your dreams to come true… make them come true. Be intentional about your time and the steps you’re taking. I believe in you.

Suggested Reading: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts