Zanesville, Ohio

I have fond memories of school field trips to the Columbus Zoo.  With Jack Hanna in our backyard, we had endless opportunities to learn about all the beautiful animals from around the world.  They are all God's creatures and they are absolutely beautiful. 

With the unfortunate events that unfolded last week, I am incredibly thankful my Grandma and other immediate family members, classmates and long-time friends who live in Zanesville, are safe.  My Grandma, who lives just miles from the private animal reserve, was not unlike any other scared member of the community.  My mother, who lives less than 30 miles from the private animal reserve and adopts animals all the time, offered some humor in texting me, “I suppose I can take in another one, but not sure if I have room for them all.”  All I could picture was my mother and her little dogs going out for the morning activities and without warning, turning into an appetizer for one of the escaped animals.  (After all, cheetahs run fast.) 

So many things in life happen without warning, so I ask that any efforts or energy focused around this unfortunate event be used for good.  Donations can be made to the The Wilds (www.thewilds.org), World Wildlife Federation (www.worldwild.org), Care for the Wild (www.careforthewild.org), Wildlife Rescue (www.wildlife-rescue.org) and/or your local zoo.  I will be visiting The Wilds in the coming weeks.

The Wilds is the largest wildlife conservation center in the world

The Wilds spans over 10,000 miles in southeastern Ohio

Janet Bolin

Comments

Popular Posts