Where We've Come From

I was thinking back on my journey to what got me where I am today. It wasn’t a long, over thought process honestly. Don’t get me wrong. I have been living my platform for 7 years now and we have been actively making strides for the betterment of our veterans long before I decided to put my pageant heels back on. I met my state director, Rachel Hedstrom, a few years back when she was actually Mrs. Texas International. We kept in touch over the years, but I had no desire to compete in pageants again. I put the brakes on that when I was in my young 20’s or so I thought.

After having our little girl, I couldn’t wait for her to be in her first pageant. My husband wasn’t having it which made me more determined for him to see how amazing a pageant could be… for a young girl. I emailed Rachel, who was now a state director for the International pageants just to see if she knew of anything for our sweet little girl. She didn’t, but somehow convinced me to meet her at Starbucks to talk about ME entering a MRS. Pageant. Boy, did that backfire on Justin. Ha! With only a week until the state deadline and one month before the actual pageant, I decided to bite the bullet and compete again. Justin was totally fine with it shockingly. I googled everything I could possibly find about the International pageant and loved everything I saw. I knew what my platform was going to be, clearly, but what in the world was a platform sheet I thought. Google quickly became my best friend until I received my official Texas contestant handbook in the mail the next week. Now, three weeks away from the big weekend. Luckily, Rachel had the state sponsors listed and I was able to convince them to take me on out of pity I think.


The point of this is, don’t over think doing something that you want to do. If you set your mind to do it, do it all the way. I had the odds, and time, against me. I knew I wanted to win because I put myself in that mindset the day I committed to doing the state pageant. With that being said, I also knew that if I didn’t win I would survive and still be me. The same wife, mother and veterans advocate. A crown would never change that and you shouldn’t allow it to change you either. If your goal is to compete and win your state title OR become the next Mrs. International 2016, start working towards that goal now. I love Blair’s sign off, “If you believe in something, believe in it all the way.” Believe in yourself and prove to YOU that you can be and do whatever it is that you have set your mind to.


Until the Mission is Complete,

Farabe’

Comments

Popular Posts