Museum of the Bible


I had a wonderful trip to Washington, D.C. and Virginia recently. The weather was wonderful and I got to do one of my favorite things...travel! My schedule was definitely tight as I wanted to make the most of my time while I was there. One of the appearances that I did was at the Museum of the Bible. You may be thinking, "What is she talking about? I've never heard of that museum before." And I wouldn't blame you for thinking that because the museum is still being built! A few years ago, my Mom was approached by the Green Family (owners of Hobby Lobby and Mardel Christian Bookstore) about a project they were going to do that they wanted her to be on the founding board of directors. The family has been collecting an impressive amount of Biblical artifacts over the years and they wanted to build a museum to display everything. My Mom jumped on the chance to be a part of this amazing opportunity.

After I won Miss International, I was asked if I wanted to take a tour of the museum during the construction phase. Of course I said yes as I wanted to see what my Mom has been talking about for such a long time. Plus, how cool will it be when I can take my grandchildren one day to see this museum and tell them that their Grandmother was there when it was being built!

Even through all of the construction, the museum was a sight to see! I was given specific details about where the artifacts will go, the architectural design and the reasoning behind it, and the interactive program that they have made for students. Children will not only have their own section of the museum, but programs are being piloted in different schools to bring the Bible to life for them! It was interesting to find out that these piloted programs are more accepted outside the United States because of their acceptance of religion in the school system. It is also important to point out that the point of the museum and their school programs is not to push Christianity. It is to discuss one of the most influential books in the world.


The museum is set to open in 2017. I can not wait to see the finished project. I also hope that all of you reading will be able to visit once it is open, because it will be amazing!

Continuing to break the stigma,

Elise Banks
Miss International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts