The Role of Clothes

Back in September, I went to a Women in Business breakfast – because I’m trying to be a “woman in business.” There were two speakers, one is a professor at Georgetown and the other an anchorwoman. Both of these women are successful in their jobs, and I was expecting them to talk to us about business-y things…it was not what I expected.

These women both started off talking about clothes. (and there was NO complaining from me!) But what they said was very interesting, & something I was glad to hear these women struggled with as well. The professor was wearing a black suit with a red button-down shirt underneath, and the anchorwoman was wearing a light grey suit with a light blue shirt. Both looked lovely. They both said that they decided to talk about their clothes first because that is what they spent the most time on in preparing for this event – what to wear.

If they looked too stuffy, it didn’t show their personality. If they looked too “girly,” they didn’t look professional enough. How do you make the balance? Is it okay to dress really feminine at the work place? Is it still a man’s world? Why don’t men have to deal with this?

As I thought about what they were saying, I realized that it took me a long time to decide what to wear to my job interview. I wanted to look professional but still stylish…but not TOO stylish. Whether we like it or not, the way we dress says a lot about us, and you can’t take back a first impression. Then I thought – yeah why don’t men have to deal with this??

I told my boyfriend my thoughts, and he really had something to say. Men do go through this! There are certain color ties that are a no-no for a first interview, there are certain color suits that are appropriate for certain jobs, etc. Don’t even get him started on the complexities of a man’s dress shoes! I had no idea. I was also informed by my younger brother that guys his age (early 20s) don’t wear white shirts to work – it’s just not cool. Who knew?

Of course I later thought about the pageant interview and how we decide what to wear for that! So here are my tips:

1. Wear something you feel comfortable in & that fits your body
a. Don’t go for something trendy that doesn’t flatter your body
2. Don’t be afraid of bright colors!
3. Don’t go crazy with the jewelry because it is distracting and will take away from what you’re saying
4. Look professional
5. When you look in the mirror, make sure you can say – wow I look fabulous!
a. This is important because the way we feel about the way we look can give us that extra confidence that will shine through and show the judges that you have that “extra something!!”

Hope this was helpful! First impressions are important, so always look your best!

Ashley Smith

Comments

Popular Posts