Ciji Dodds - Miss International 2011


To be fearless.  The first judge that I interviewed with asked me what was the most important thing that my parents taught me, and my response was “to be fearless.”  From a very early age my parents instilled in me a simple, yet complex concept:  The only limitations placed upon you are those that are self-imposed.  It matters not what you have, rather, all that matters is what is in your heart and how hard you work.  It is with this wisdom that I navigate through this world and endeavor to be the best me that I can possibly be.

I was born in Hazlehurst, Mississippi on January 28, 1984 (Yes I am 27! Thank you to all of the ladies who told me that I look 19!), a state that happens to have a strikingly high illiteracy rate.   My mother is a Registered Nurse and my father is a retired Lieutenant Colonel. I have an amazing19 year old younger brother who keeps me on my toes.   As a “military brat” I moved around quite a bit.  I have lived in Texas, Hawaii, Virginia, North Carolina and Maryland. Most kids hated moving but, I absolutely loved it.  I saw each move as a new adventure and as an opportunity to make new friends.  As a result, I have about 20 “best friends” and I can travel to just about any state in the country and know someone who would be willing to let me sleep on their couch. :)  Although I have fallen in love with every place that I have lived, there is no substitute for the peace that one finds sitting under the shade of Mississippi’s iconic Magnolia trees, and for that reason Mississippi will always be my home.

After graduating from high school, I attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Go Heels!!!) where I received a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication, specializing in Broadcast Media.  I majored in Journalism because I believe that everyone has a story, and I saw Journalism as a vehicle for me, to help them tell their story.  After college, I attended Howard University School of Law, graduating cum laude in 2009.  People always ask “Why did you choose law?” and my response is always the same, “Because I love being an advocate for others.” 

As Miss International 2011, I hope to be an advocate for the billions of adults and children who are struggling with illiteracy.  I hope that you all will follow my journey.  I have been blessed with an amazing opportunity and I hope to be a blessing to others.

Best,

Ciji Dodds
Miss International 2011

Comments

Popular Posts