Comcast

With Veronica Santos, Community Affairs Consultant for Comcast, after my interview

On Thursday morning I taped a segment on literacy for Comcast Newsmakers! I majored in journalism, specializing in broadcast media, so it was a bit nostalgic to be back in a newsroom.  It was also daunting sitting next to the anchor because there is a tremendous difference between interviewing someone and being interviewed. But, the team at Comcast did a fantastic job of prepping me. We went through talking points, they mic’d me up, powdered my nose and in 5 seconds we were taping!  We started with soft ball questions and then we got into the meat of the discussion. 

We discussed the current state of literacy in America, the ways that organizations such as First Book and Reach Out and Read lead the fight against illiteracy and small things that each of us can do to help eradicate illiteracy.

I am grateful for the opportunity to discuss my platform on a national stage.  One of my goals for this year was to bring literacy to the forefront of the national agenda.  As a titleholder, I spend a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to promote my platform and to reach as many people as possible.  Television is just one of those tools.  Companies such as Comcast play an integral role in making sure that the voices of everyday citizens are heard.  By lending valuable programming time to the cause of literacy, Comcast demonstrated its commitment to the community.   Thanks Comcast!

Best,
Ciji Dodds
Miss International 2011

Comments

Popular Posts