From Introvert to Beauty Queen: My Story


As ironic as it may seem for a reigning queen to admit, I was a very shy and introverted little girl who wanted nothing to do with strangers.  As an only child, I didn’t encounter the sibling rivalry that causes some children to stand up and fight for their rights.  I remember being curious but of all new experiences. I remember cowering behind my mother’s leg when a sales clerk would ask me my name.  My favorite memories were spending summers with my Grammy and Papa.  My grandparents also pushed me to try new things.  My Papa challenged my spirit by engaging my imagination. I have fond memories of invented sword fights using empty paper towel tubes.  As I grew up I was more outgoing, but was still tentative about new activities.  After signing up for gymnastics at age 10, I spent the first 45-minute session sitting in the car, too nervous to actually go inside and attend the class.  I am pleased to have overcome this initial shyness with time and experience, but I definitely retain traits of an introvert and re-charge my batteries with activities of solitude such as immersing myself in my artwork.

My elementary and middle school years were a combination of the usual awkwardness associated with the “tween” years and facing the difficulty of a parent with severe depression at home.   I have quietly tucked away the goofy school photos that exposed braces, glasses and a slick backed bangs of the too tight ponytail.  Even worse the months of wearing a heart monitor while the doctor tried to diagnose a varying heart rhythm that would cause bouts of both fainting and the inability to catch my breath.  My fragile self-esteem was tested by having to walk on eggshells due to my father’s unpredictable behavior.  When these emotions were too much for me to handle, I retreated to safety of my room and released these unspoken emotions into the pages of a journal both through words and pictures.

By the time I entered high school, a new Krista was slowly emerging; having discovered that new experiences offered great rewards, I embraced many activities.  Competitive cheerleading which combines tumbling, stunts and traditional cheer, provided an opportunity for developing self-discipline, a feeling of accomplishment and a sister-like camaraderie.  Traveling to national competitions developed my sense of adventure and leadership skills to the point that I served as captain of the squad.  My leadership skills were further developed as I attended the statewide leadership Summit.  I discovered my gift of empathy and served as a peer mentor, with a self-realized understanding that my past emotional trauma could allow me to serve and understand the emotional needs of others. 

After winning a presidential scholarship to Drake University, I began my college years fully charged with the goal of pursuing psychology and expanding my wings.  While in college I continued to cheer for the Drake Bulldogs, a Cinderella basketball team that won the conference title and competed in the NCAA tournaments – Go Big Blue!  During that event I was selected to co-host an ESPN spotlight.  I also joined a sorority that was instrumental in helping me realize the importance of volunteering.  During these years I also began to un-ravel the tangle of emotions brought on by a difficult relationship with my Father.  I was able to separate the person from the illness and as he began to heal through counseling, our family was reunited. It took me a very long time to gain understanding and finally forgiveness, but day by day, our relationship was progressing in a positive direction.

While volunteering with abused and neglected children my passion to help others was fine-tuned.  I believe that God finally answered my prayers for guidance.  I know that my past emotional struggles, artistic talents and feeling of compassion for abused children are God-given gifts designed to help my live a life in which I can help other reach their full potential.  My education is not complete, as I intend to pursue a Master of Psychology with the goal of becoming a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, specializing in Art therapy.   After securing the title of Miss Minnesota International I was offered the position of Healing Arts Spokesperson for the International Child Art Foundation, serving the emotional needs of children who have survived nature disasters.

I never imagined that the shy, little girl who loved to draw her feelings would one day be given the opportunity to serve as Miss International 2012.  I know that this experience will enrich my ability to heal the hearts of children as I travel to promote the healing power of creative expression.

“God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.”
Proverbs 3:3-4


Yours most gratefully,

Krista Wanous
Miss International 2012

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts