Winning the Title of Miss International 2012


Everyone keeps asking me, “How did it feel?” and honestly, it is a question that leaves me with few words. Winning the title of Miss International 2012 was indescribable. When we are young, we see these “beauty queens” on TV who compete in glamorous pageants. We imagine them living a luxurious life style full of excitement and sophistication. As a little girl, when I thought of a pageant queen, I never pictured myself in that role. I never thought I was beautiful.

When I found out about the Miss International pageant, which was on a complete whim, I knew I had found something special - a way for me to show my beauty. Beauty is not in the eye of the beholder; it is in your very own hands. You have the ability to show others how beautiful you are no matter what your physical beauty may be. That’s what the International Pageant system showed me. I am beautiful in my own special way. I may not have been the most physically attractive, but I did present my most humble, honest self, the true Krista. All week, my mantra was “be yourself”. I know pageant girls hear this all the time, “Just be yourself - be authentic,” but how can you be yourself, while also completely changing the way you walk, talk, sit, stand, and appeal to five different judges?  When we are true to our own heart, not putting on a perfect persona, our true beauty shines through.


The final night of competition, I said to God, as I have said many times before, “I give it to you. I trust in you Lord and I know that you have a plan for me. Whatever it is, I accept it. If it is to make top ten, top five, win, or not place at all, I will be grateful, for you have already granted me more than I ever thought I could have.” Surprisingly, I was calm during competition and on stage. I knew the decision was already made. Someone’s destiny was already written on the card inside the envelope. Even though I was most nervous about the on-stage question, I didn’t fret and worry about it backstage rehearsing over and over my possible Rolodex of answers. Instead, I simply prayed for inner peace and a calm mind. Honestly, if I didn’t know it by now, I wasn’t going to get it 30 seconds before I went on stage. I just gave it to God and trusted that he would give me the words I needed.

I was honored to have made top ten. I was blessed to be surrounded by ten incredible accomplished, beautiful women, any of which would have done great things with the title. It was even more fun when I got to stand right next to Miss Congeniality, Miss Haiti, who is always positive, enthusiastic and encouraging. Her excitement was contagious that night!

When we lined up to be called for top five, I looked out into the audience and saw a few faces. My favorite faces; my best friend, Melanie Hoang and her boyfriend Eric Bell who have been supporting throughout my entire journey, as well as, my parents Tom and Patti, my boyfriend Donovan and his whole family, my lovely coach “Glenda” and so many friends / MN pageant sisters all of whom have been a never ending source of guidance, confidence, and love. I am so grateful that you were all there! When my name was called as this year’s representative for Miss International, I have never felt so much joy, accomplishment, relief and excitement!! I was shocked. It felt like I was dreaming, because let me tell you, I had dreamt and visualized about this moment many times!

I am pleased to say that I remained true to myself, and the judges saw my inner beauty, my passion for helping children through the arts and my dedication to my platform. I am honored to represent all the Miss International titleholders across the world. I don’t know why God chose me, but I am sure He has great plans in store for me. Stay tuned!


“As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand”
Isaiah 14:24

All my Love,

Krista Wanous
Miss International 2012

Comments

Popular Posts