Now What Happens If I Look Sick...


In contrast to one of my last posts, what do you do when you hear this…

“Why is she so small?”

“Why does she wear those crazy outfits?”

“What is that thing?”

Visible chronic illness is just as difficult to deal with as Invisible Illness. I have had countless young friends that have been made fun of and been outcasts just because of their feeding tube or small size. My main statement behind this blog goes back to one thing that I am sure you were told countless times when you were young… “don't judge a book by its cover.” Many of us have heard this a million times, but honestly how many of us actually do it.

Take a step back… someone may be a small size because of their medication. Those crazy outfits the pain community wears, they are to bring awareness about different diseases and struggles we go through. Lastly that “thing” you are pointing at and staring at saves people's lives and/or helps their quality of life. Most of the time it is a big step for people to go shopping or go out to dinner. Please do not judge them. I have seen it too many times myself.

Most people are very open about their illnesses. They have no problem answering questions and letting you know a little more about their daily life. I promise they would rather give answers than deal with stares and whispers. 

I encourage all of you to like the U.S. Pain Foundation Facebook Page as well as mine to stay updated on ways you can help and understand the chronic pain community.

“Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds”

- Orison Swett Marden

Garin Harris
Miss Teen International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts