Christmas in Washington


As a resident of Maryland, I am so lucky to live in close proximity to Washington, DC, our nation’s capital!  DC’s unique mix of history, pop culture, business, and, of course, politics, make it a destination for people from all over the world.  However, I have noticed that those who live close to DC often don’t even take advantage of their chance to be a part of this special city, or at least not as often as we ought to!

So, for my birthday, my Mom took me and three of my roommates from school (they are from New Jersey and New York) downtown for a night of fun!  We experienced Washington’s fabulous shopping, toured DC, taking in sights such as the White House, the National Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and the grounds of the nearby Mormon Temple, a castle-esque building decorated with hundreds of thousands of Christmas lights!  It was beautiful!

With some of my friends from school in front of the White House near the end of our big shopping, sightseeing and dining expedition for my birthday!

To cap off the evening, we had dinner at a historic DC favorite, The Old Ebbitt Grill.  The general manager of Old Ebbit is Christian Godown, and they have been a fantastic supporter of all of my fundraisers for Erick’s Hope Foundation, the American Heart Association, and the Alliance for a Healthier Generation over the years.  No matter how busy they are, he always makes sure that my friends, family, and I never wait for a table – it is always a fabulous experience!  Christian has welcomed me as part of the “Old Ebbit family” and I am so grateful for that! 

Though I had a great time in DC with my friends on my birthday, I had an even more special experience a few days before Christmas, when I was invited to a V.I.P. tour of the White House to see its holiday decorations. 


Here's a sight most people never see: the INSIDE of the White House gate!

Richard Callahan of the Secret Service greeting us and Mr. Music outside the White House.

This is the White House driveway where TV reporters often stand when reporting the news on TV.

With my family outside the White House

The theme of the White House decorations this year was “peacock”.  With peacocks topping trees in places of stars, peacock blue and purple ornaments, ribbon, tablecloths and  accents, and even small peacocks sprinkled along the garlands that were hung over mantels and doorways, it definitely lived up to its theme! 


These few pictures just don't do justice to the magnificent decorations.

My family and I were led on our tour by both Christian Music, who works in the Executive Office of the President, as well as a member of the Secret Service, Richard Callahan.  Between the two of them, I’m positive we didn’t miss out on any of the fascinating White House history, or the beautiful decorations.


With my family


I will always think of this visit when I hear the term "home office"! 

Anywhere an International queen goes, there's a parent who wants their child photographed with her!

Preparing to leave the White House grounds with my sister and brother.

After our tour, we visited The Old Ebbitt Grill again for lunch this time!  Unfortunately, Christian was not working, but we still got star treatment from the fabulous Ebbitt staff and had a lunch to perfectly end the memorable day, complete with quick service, delicious food, good conversation, and family.  A notable fact about the Old Ebbit is that it is the oldest restaurant in Washington, and every President except Bill Clinton has dined there. 


After our visit to the White House we had a wonderful holiday meal at Old Ebbitt Grill.

We had such a great time on our tour with Mr. Music and Sergeant Callahan that we hoped they could join us for lunch; however, they had to get back to doing their part to keep America up and running safely.


With Sergeant Richard Callahan of the United States Secret Service

I would like to send big thanks out to Mr. Music, Sergeant Callahan, and all of their coworkers for all of their hard work and the countless hours they spend “behind the scenes”.  Also, I would like to offer a huge “Thank You!” to our brave military troops.  Inside the lobby of the White House there were baskets to deposit thank you cards so that they could be delivered directly to our deployed military members.  I know that the war is a controversial subject with some but we must always remember that those who are fighting on our behalf in the war do not make foreign policy.  No matter what our political affiliation or beliefs about war may be, we must be sure to support those who have volunteered to put their lives on the line to help protect the safety of our country and promote justice worldwide.


Many thousands of military Moms and Dads are away from their loved ones this Christmas, putting their lives on the line on our behalf.  I was glad to have the opportunity to write some Holiday cards to some of them from the White House.

It takes a unique type of person to serve as a president.  As the singular icon of leadership of our country, the president is a scapegoat by default, whenever anything goes wrong in or related to our country, blame often immediately and solely falls on the president.  However, when things turn out good, the president also receives all of the thanks and glory.  Though it is important to have an individual to hold accountable for the goings on in America, our country is not run by the president alone. The often thankless, “behind the scene” jobs that we overlook far too often – such as those of Mr. Music, Sergeant Callahan, and our military – are those that keep America running.  So, the next time you have a chance, drop a card or care package to the troops or thank a government employee for their work.


Juliana McKee

Comments

Popular Posts