International Sister makes Miss Magic's Special Day TRULY Magical!

How many of you reading remember me saying a few times, “International Pageants, it’s a Family Affair.” Probably more than once and this will not be the last…that statement is true in so many ways. Take this past weekend for example, Halle-Grace will be three years old this coming Friday and to celebrate we had a Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins at the Shelby City Park Carousel.


A "Mary Poppins" birthday party theme came alive after Halle-Grace saw the live performance of Mary Poppins at the Blumenthal theatre in Charlotte during a "daddy-daughter date" with Jason while I was traveling out of state making an appearance as Mrs. International. I remember Jason telling me over the phone how captivated she was and how she immediately fell in love with everything about the musical. Shortly after, we purchased the movie on DVD and now everything is about "Mary Poppins". We are blessed to live in a city that has such a great “hidden treasure” and the Carousel was the PERFECT place to have a Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins and celebrate Little Miss Magic's 3rd Birthday!


During the initial planning stages, I pondered for days…WHO in the world can play the role of Mary Poppins and I mean PLAY it well? I thought for days and the entire time the answer was so simple. My mom called me and said her name without hesitation, “Cynthia Griner, she would be a perfect Mary Poppins!” ABSOLUTELY!!!


Cynthia just happens to be the reigning Mrs. North Carolina International. I immediately contacted Cynthia and she was delighted to take on the role. And play the role…well; let’s just say she FAR exceeded our expectations!


She was beautiful, just like Mary Poppins, “Practically Perfect in every way.”


Halle-Grace was so excited when she saw Mary Poppins! Her face was priceless and one that I will never forget! It was too sweet for words! Cynthia, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making our tiny miracle’s day so full of MAGIC!


Before the big day, I worked with Party Planner, Chance Heflin, to make certain everything was just perfect for the Jolly Holiday.

Halle-Grace is fascinated by the "magic" throughout the movie, to include Mary Poppins flying, the penguins dancing, the Carousel scene, and she loves, loves, loves the Spoon full of sugar and loves to sing the songs. Chance worked extremely hard using her amazing creativity and talents to incorporate just about every aspect of "magic" that you'll find in the movie. She made centerpieces highlighting Halle-Grace and paid attention to every single detail. Thank you Chance for making Miss Magic’s Party so amazing! My goal was to create a magical, memorable experience for all who attend and Chance helped to personalize the party in so many ways for Halle-Grace.







Even to the detail of serving “Raspberry Ice” drinks


By this point, many of you reading might think, “OK, it’s a birthday party for a 3 year old.” On Halle-Grace’s adoption day, I held her inside the Tuyen Quang orphanage in Northern Vietnam with tears rolling down my face as I witnessed the way she lived the first 9 months of her life, I promised her that I would love her with every ounce of my being and she would always be my princess! So, yes, I am guilty of making a big deal (ok, a huge deal...ha ha) out of every occasion in her life! She is our tiny miracle and I want her to have and experience all that she can. None of us are promised tomorrow, and as long as I am able, I will make every day the BEST it can be for Halle-Grace. We've all heard the saying, don't save your fine china only for special occasions or your best perfume only for special holidays, enjoy today that's why it's called the "present". That's the way I think about her birthdays, enjoy each day and celebrate each year in a grand way!


And finally, the cake…well, it “took the cake”!!! I absolutely love how Monica with “Splat, cakes n such” featured the city sky line with the silhouette of Mary Poppins, tied in the red and white theme penguins and kites, followed by the turquoise tier with white dots and Halle-Grace’s ABSOLUTE favorite, “Spoons full of Sugar”.


And finally Chance topped the cake off perfectly with one of her amazing three sided creations featuring Miss Magic throughout her life! 


Everyone had a wonderful time riding the Carousel while listening to the sound track from Mary Poppins (thanks to Jason). It truly was a Jolly Holiday!


WOW, it is finally sinking in….my baby will be 3 years old this Friday, November 19th! God has blessed us beyond measure! As we celebrate Halle-Grace turning 3 this week, we are also celebrating 30 years of service to children provided by the National Council For Adoption AND we also will celebrate National Adoption Day! This is going to be a GREAT week!

Halle-Grace will never forget her Magical, Jolly Holiday with Mary Poppins! To help her remember every detail for years to come, Little Ones Magazine out of Charlotte, NC selected Halle-Grace's birthday party to feature in their publication! How exciting for the International family!

Until next post, remain blessed,

Shannon

Comments

  1. Shannon, this was so precious. I love the idea and the joy on HG's face with Mary Poppins. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!!! Shannon some of my favorite memories are of that movie and my dad dancing with in the livingroom with Dick van Dike and the penguins. We used to watch it almost every sunday and now we watch it with our kids. Thanks for sharing Halle-Grace with us and Thanks to Jason for taking her on a daddy-daughter date that will stick with her for YEARS to come! XOXO ~Ang

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts