Pink Out

Last Friday, my school celebrated our annual “Pink Out” football game. Every year we have a “Pink Out” themed pep rally and game to celebrate and honor those who are fighting or have fought breast cancer. Everyone in attendance wears pink. We decorate the stadium with pink balloons and signs, as well. The cheerleaders have pink poms and ribbons…even the football players wear pink socks!

The Pink Out game is especially close to my heart, because my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was in fifth grade. She continued her fight for 2 years before finally receiving the news that she was in remission. I am constantly reminded of how blessed I am to have her in my life!

October 1 marks the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness month. Breast cancer affects women and men of all ages. Actually, one in every one hundred cases occurs in a male. It is important to know the signs of breast cancer and have a yearly mammogram with your physician. I encourage you all to join the fight against breast cancer by finding a Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in your area or simply wear pink during the month of October in honor of those who continue in the fight.

Caroline Crowley

Comments

Popular Posts