New Workouts!


I get bored with the same old workout routine.  I love running, however… there are times when I’m on the treadmill and I can’t help but think “Who the heck am I running from?!?!”   So here are 5 new activities that will add some spice to your workout routine.  As with anything, please consult your physician before taking part in any and all exercises. 

Barre Classes:  When you think of a ballerina’s body, you think of a strong, muscular, yet feminine physique.  I’ve always taken ballet classes for that very reason.  I’ve found them to be a great way to stay toned and in shape.  I’ve recently discovered and fallen in love with barre classes. Barre classes provide me with the best that ballet has to offer.  Using ballet barre exercises, barre classes help you sculpt a dancer’s body.  Some even fuse barre exercises with pilates.  It is an intense and fun way to build strength and muscle. 


Zumba:  The name is enough to get you excited!  Zumba is a high energy latin- dance  inspired exercise program.  One class and you will be hooked!  A lot of people are intimidated by the dance moves, but there is no need to let your inhibitions get the best of you.  Based on my experience, you’re too busy having fun and sweating to worry about messing up!


Indoor Rock Climbing:  I envy those who are brave enough to go outside and climb a magnificent rock.  While I’m sure that it is exhilarating, I am risk averse, and therefore indoor rock climbing is the thing for me.  It’s one of those things that looks easy, but once you’re on the wall, it’s a different story!  It works out muscles that you didn’t even know that you had!


Fitness Boot Camp:  I love a good boot camp!  Fitness boot camps are a form of group exercise that are usually led by a single instructor. Typically, you are taken through a series of exercise circuits.   Boot camps come in many forms, however, I prefer short term boot camps (2 to 4 weeks) as a way of adding intensity or jump starting my workout routine.  In your face instructors and exhausting exercises keep you motivated and on your toes!

Spinning:  Spinning is a great work out!  But I will warn you, as far as workouts go, it is an acquired taste :)  It’s one of those things that I do when I need  swift kick in the rear!  The first spin class that I took, I almost quit half way through!  My pride was the only thing that made me stay.  Either way, if you decide to take a spin class be prepared, go at your own pace and enjoy the ride!

Ciji Dodds

Comments

Popular Posts