My Crowning Moment

After I won Miss Teen Arkansas International in April, I heard again and again that I probably would not win nationals this year because Miss Teen International 2013, Haley Pontius, was also from Arkansas. These doubtful remarks helped fuel my fire as I prepared for the pageant. I refused to accept that I could not win just because I was representing a certain state. However, I did realize the odds might not be “ever in my favor.”

Because of this, I decided I was going to work hard, get as much out of the experience as possible, and just have fun! I made the decision to not to go into the competition feeling anxious, apprehensive or over analytical. Instead I embraced every opportunity I was given to make friends and have a good time. When Saturday night came around, I knew that whether I left Jacksonville with the crown or not I would be very content with my experience!

Saturday during rehearsals I was nauseous, dizzy and even threw up a few times. The staff and my new friends took care of me and thankfully I was feeling better by show time! After the competition was complete that night, I stood on stage listening to the announcement of the runner-ups and said a quick prayer while squeezing the hands of the girls next to me. Most people that are in this position would probably describe the moment as extremely nerve racking and stressful, but I was feeling excitement and peace. I knew someone’s life was about to change forever and her destiny would be revealed; however, I didn’t know that it would be mine.

Then came the announcement. “The new Miss Teen International is… Miss Teen Arkansas International, Blair Wortsmith!” In that moment all I could do was scream with joy. I could hear my family and friends cheering and I almost fell to the ground. The photographer captured the moment perfectly. I laugh now because a majority of my crowning pictures are of me with my mouth wide open. You can tell by the look on my face I was truly stunned. I really could not believe it!


You might notice that there was one typical thing missing from my crowning moment. Several people also noticed it. I didn’t cry when they called my name. I did not even shed a single tear until the show was over. Hard to believe from someone that was just crowned MISS TEEN INTERNATIONAL, right? Now that I’ve had time to reflected on this I realized why I wasn’t crying. I was in SHOCK! The moment felt so surreal and better than anything I could have ever imagined in my wildest dreams that it didn’t seem like it could actually be happening to the representative from Arkansas- the same state that now claimed the title 2 years in a row. I was so surprised to hear my name that it took almost five minutes to really hit me. After I had time to process the moment and let it sink in, the waterworks definitely came!

If I had listened to those telling me I couldn’t do it, I wouldn’t be writing this post today. My family always reminds me when I’m competing that there is only one crown to be won, but many new friends to be made, many lives to be touched, and many lessons to be learned. Having this mindset helps me enjoy the experience and not put total focus on the crown. If you don’t get anything else from this little story I hope you will be inspired to always chase your dreams, overcome the odds, and most importantly, enjoy the journey!

I was crowned by Haley Pontius, Miss Teen International 2013, two times!

If you believe in something, believe in it all the way!

Blair Wortsmith
Miss Teen International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts