My Personal Fairytale - 8 Years in the Making!

It has been 2 weeks since I was crowned Miss International 2014. I had so many emotions and feelings running through me the entire week of competition, please allow me to share them with you:

I arrived a few days early to this year’s pageant to watch the Mrs International 2014 pageant! I highly recommend doing so if you’re planning on competing next year. I was able to see the layout of the stage, the backgrounds and even listen to the Mrs. Onstage Question answer’s. I wore a stunning Sherri Hill that I had picked up at the 2014 International Pageant trunk show at The Competitive Image and got to meet other contestants who came early as well! Congratulations to the new Mrs. International 2014 Maggie Thorne! I am so glad I was able to see her crowning moment in person! Her excitement and enthusiasm was contagious!


Flash forward to Monday night at orientation: I met and took photos with all of the contestants from around the world! Everyone had to get up and share something about themselves and of course, I talked about chocolate! We learned hands only CPR and heard from all of the Pageant Staff and Sponsors!

On Tuesday we toured downtown Jacksonville, made candy at Sweet Pete’s, and went on a tour of the Jacksonville Jaguar’s Stadium! We were shown underground tunnels/ Banks and historical spots in Jacksonville! At Sweet Pete’s we made our own Cherry Lollipops! I am also guilty of purchasing some chocolate covered potato chips and sour watermelon rings! I love candy, so this was my favorite part of the trip! Another cool spot (literally) were the infinity pools at the Jacksonville Jaguar stadium! I cant imagine anything more amazing than watching a game on a beautiful Florida day while sitting in one of those pools!



One of my favorite traditions of the pageant is the group photo and Inspirational talk/ Dinner with Eddie Peterson! Every single contestant wore a stunning gown and took a giant group photo along the harbor as well as in the theatre! After the photo is taken all of the Teen and Miss contestants ate a delicious dinner followed by an inspirational speech by Eddie Peterson- I don’t want to give away anything he says because I think it’s a beautiful thing to hear straight from him, but I will tell you- there isn’t a dry eye in the house.


Another wonderful experience during the week was our visit to The Pace Center! It is a place for at risk girls. We were able to teach them life skills as well as bring in donations we had collected before nationals! My group was in charge of helping these young ladies prepare for possible upcoming job interviews!

Rehearsals are one of my favorite parts of competing, not only did it give me a chance to show off my style, but I was able to actually walk the stage and practice my poses and turns! I highly recommend using this time wisely, practicing on the REAL stage in the ACTUAL shoes you are planning on wearing in such a valuable asset when it comes to the final competition!


The biggest Interview I have ever faced in my life was Thursday morning! I wore a custom purple Fernando Wong that I got during the International Pageant trunk show at The Competitive Image. I felt strong and confident about not only my platform but who I was before going in to meet the judges. I have spent the last year of my life preparing for this moment. Instead of trying to be perfect and have the best answers – I focused on showing them who I was and my personality. I may have even meow’d at a judge. I didn’t walk out of my interview feeling like I had won, BUT I did walk out knowing that I was completely myself in every aspect, which I think is more important.

Preliminaries were on Friday night! I competed in Fun Fashion, Fitness and Gown with all of the other Miss contestants while the teens watched from the audience. Backstage I joked with the girls sitting by me and sent updates to my friends and family who couldn’t attend. I didn’t feel any pressure or stress because I told myself that tonight was just “practice” for tomorrow!

Fun Fashion

Evening Gown

Before I knew it, I was waking up Saturday morning, little did I know what was in store for me that night.

Since competing in my first pageant in 2006 (Miss Teen Greater Conejo Valley International) I had dreamed of becoming Miss International. I had competed for a state title 4 times before I made it to nationals the first time last year. I had made top 10 last year and that had felt like a dream come true. I came back this year hoping to win- but honestly I really never thought it would happen. With so many accomplished and beautiful girls from all over the world competing this year, I was just praying to make the top 5! But I can say that I have never wanted anything more or worked harder for anything in my entire life. Backstage I sang Let It Go from Frozen with the other contestants and took photos to relieve my stress. While I know that I left no stone un turned and did everything possible to be the best representation of myself- you never know what the judges are looking for. As I walked out with the other girls in the top 10 for crowning, I heard my friends cheering my name and couldn’t help but feel so unbelievably blessed and loved. I knew they were proud of me no matter what the results were. As they started calling out the names of the runners up- I kept thinking to myself “Don’t say my name” and when I hadn’t received a runner up placement- I looked around at all of the girls left in the top 10- It could have been any one of us. A lot of people have asked me If I knew that I won when I was still standing and had not placed and truthfully- No.

I was holding hands with 5 of the world’s most intelligent, glamorous and passionate women. I could have seen any one of them being called the new Miss International. So, I did the only thing I knew that would calm my soul. I prayed. I lowered my head, closed my eyes and asked god not for the crown, but for peace in whatever the outcome.

Thanking God- I shine because of him

Hugging the beautiful Jesse Ladoue- I have Huge shoes to fill!

Your new Miss International 2014 is….. Miss West Coast International 2014 Samantha Riddle-

I had dreamed of this moment for eight years. I wanted to cry, laugh, scream, jump up and down- One of the biggest dreams I have ever had- had come true. It didn’t feel real, and quite frankly, I think I am still in shock. I am Miss International 2014- It still gives me chills saying that out loud.

The best decision I’ve ever made? Coming back and competing a second time for Miss International.

Ignite your spark,

Samantha Riddle
Miss International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts