My Last Week as Mrs. International 2013

It is probably a good thing that my week in Jacksonville included about a dozen events for me as I wounded down my year as Mrs. International 2013. It kept me from thinking too much about how it will soon be over ;( But all good things must indeed come to an end.

Look at the signs with all the beautiful ladies.

I landed on Tuesday and was able to tour a progressive place called the Youth Crisis Center (YCC) as I was given a speech about the facility later in the week.


YCC provide temporary housing for at-risk youth along with counseling and outpatient services to youth. They even have a residential program from older foster kids. In most states, a foster child is only provided service until they are 18…sometime up to 21 year of age. Florida will provide it until 23 years old. All states should do the same as many of these kids will age out of the system and have not support or guidance to what to do next as adults. Many have no choice and will sign up for the military, as it’s the only option.

I am forever blessed to have met Monterious.

I toured the new residential are which will open in less than a month. That’s when I met Monterious Philip. He lives at the YCC and in school. He is a bright and motivated 19-year old man who dresses to a T each day. He told me “I am the person today, I promised myself I would be tomorrow.” God love him!

Later Tuesday night was contestant orientation to go over the week ahead.

Wednesday morning we toured beautiful (and steamy) St. Augustine where we learned about one of our country’s oldest cities. Mary Richardson and I had the chance to spend that time with a reporter from the Jacksonville newspaper who wrote a terrific article.


Thursday I was up at 5am to get myself put together thanks to Drew and Thomas Dunn and their crew. I was able to meet the judges and talk about my year in review before the ladies began their 5-minute one-on-one interviews. Then I had to run! Time for the Monique Burr Foundation. They invited me to meet with about 2-dozen business leaders for a talk and round table discussion at Roy’s. The foundation has a comprehensive curriculum for students in Florida that educate them about abuse, bullying and internet safety. Much like Erin’s Law, but more comprehensive. Once we arrived, I sat down with Mary Baer from Channel 4 news for an on-camera interview. Turns out we will have TWO stories aired about the foundation and International!



Okay, so what day was it? I remember being super busy as a contestant, but I was even busier as Mrs. International this week. I think I was a part of 10 events outside of International specific duties. It included the Cummer Museum where I talked with children and helped them create artwork (and left my phone behind).




And then my talk with business leaders of Jacksonville for the Youth Crisis Center. And we didn’t even get to prelims or finals. I will tell you, I am now running on little sleep. I may not make much sense. At least I am entertaining though. Here are a few more pics from the week that was.

Be the change!

Amy Gregorio 
Your 2013 Mrs. International

Comments

Popular Posts