Time Management Tips

To say that my life has been a little crazy lately would be an understatement! As a teenage titleholder it can be very challenging to successfully juggle school, homework, ACT prep, appearances, college applications, volunteering, scheduled events, blogging, and more! In light of my hectic schedule, I thought I would share a few of my favorite tips that help me manage my time and accomplish the things I need to.


1. Check lists! I would be lost without them. Every single day when I come home from school, I open a new “Note” on my phone and make a list of all of the things I need to do the next 24 hours. It helps me stay organized!


2. Prioritize! Once I have completed my list I go through it and rank the items in order of importance. This helps me focus my time and attention on getting the things done that have to be completed first. I always find that some things make their way on my list but are actually optional for that day. When I take a few minutes to evaluate my list it helps eliminate unnecessary stress because I can set realistic goals.



3. Designate time for certain tasks! My third step is to go through and determine approximately how much time I need to do each task. When I break down the task into small periods of time I don’t get overwhelmed by what has to be done. After I complete a task I reward myself with a little break to stretch, walk the dog or eat a snack before I move on to the next thing on the list. I find I am much more productive when I have planned out my “to do list” in advance!


4. Wiggle Room! Let’s face it. We aren’t robots and even the best plans don’t always work out. It sounds nice to be able to perform one task after the other perfectly without wasting time or getting side tracked, but that isn’t usually the case. Instead of getting frustrated I always give myself “catch up time” after a couple hours of work. If I get off schedule or need a few minutes to relax I don’t feel guilty about taking a scheduled break.


This whole process of planning only takes about five to ten minutes, but saves me hours each day. My productivity levels skyrocketed when I learned how to use my time wisely by applying these simple steps! They have helped me become more organized and capable of reaching my goals. I can also avoid chaos in the midst of a busy life! I highly recommend than any busy person make a habit of creating an organized check list daily!!!


If you believe in something, believe in it all the way!

Blair Wortsmith
Miss Teen International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts