Planning for Success

Hi Everyone!

Have you ever wanted more hours in the day? I think I request this every single day! The interesting thing is that even if we had more hours in the day, we would probably still want more! I have come to find that managing our time is one of the basic life skills that can make all the difference!

Most of you know that when I won the International crown last month, I was not walking in to this title with a clear schedule! I actually have a full time job as a licensed therapist where I see patients for individual, couples and family therapy and am also the school counselor at a private school in Houston. So winning the crown was essentially adding another role to my plate! The thing is, I was ready for it! I learned very early in my high school years the importance of planning out your day and prioritizing what needs to be done. So when I decided to compete for Miss Texas International and eventually Miss International, knowing very well that I was not going to quit my jobs, I knew that now more than ever, I would have to be very diligent in making sure every hour of every day was carefully planned out. 


Here are a few tips that I have found helpful in my own life:
  1. I have two calendars. One on my phone/laptop and a handwritten planner. Both are constantly kept updated and are even shared with my bosses and family so that they know when I am available! Having both calendars has helped in giving me a visual representation as to what my day looks like. 
  2. I always look at my schedule the day (sometimes even 2 days before) to make sure I confirm appointments and that I have not double booked myself. I always make sure I give myself enough time to get to work and my appearances knowing that traffic can shift at any time. One of my favorite sayings is: “If you are early, you are on time; if you are on time, you are late; and if you are late, you might as well not show up”. So it is always best to be early!
  3. I schedule out time to rest! It may sound silly, but I write out when I am going to workout, get a massage, or dinner out with friends! Relaxation time is just as important as other parts of our lives. However, if we do not plan for it, it will not happen. 

Finally, I want to encourage those of you who are wanting to compete next year but may have other obligations (school, work, etc). Do not let that be the reason that keeps you from competing. I was very honest with each of the judges at the Miss International pageant that I had a full-time job. However, I was able to show them through my commitment to being Miss Texas, how I would take on the role of Miss International. It is definitely not easy, but it is doable!

I hope each of you have a blessed and manageable week!

Continuing to break the stigma,

Elise Banks
Miss International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts