Writing Your Story

During my first semester of graduate school, all the candidates were required to write their autobiography in order for our professors to determine whether we needed to seek counseling. You would think that this would be an easy assignment to do as you do not have to do any research when you are writing about yourself! However, this was one of the most difficult papers that I ever had to write. I had to be vulnerable enough to write down the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of my life for someone else to read. I would drag my feet every night when I would sit down to write more about my life, as I knew everything I said would be viewed by someone else. The amazing thing is after I wrote my 25 page autobiography, I experienced one of the best feelings. Going through every part of my life was emotionally draining, but it allowed me to see how hard I have worked, how many blessings God has bestowed upon me, and the people that have walked with me in the journey of my life so far. 


There may not ever be a reason where you need to write out your entire life. I do encourage everyone to spend some time thinking about their life story. It will not be easy, but it gives you so much perspective about how you have become the person you are today. When you spend some time being vulnerable and honest regarding your journey, it sheds light to the highs and lows that create a beautiful story!

Continuing to break the stigma,

Elise Banks
Miss International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts