Thanksgiving in Chicago

As some of you may know, I have a very small family. During the holidays, and especially this year, we don’t have the traditional huge family gathering with enormous amounts of food. For Thanksgiving this year, my mom, my dad, and I decided to do something new and adventurous. Because I was ill during the International Pageant when we toured the city of Chicago, my mom thought it would be a good idea to check out some of the sites I missed out on. We hopped in the car equipped with holiday tunes and a cooler full of treats and hit the road for Chicago!

I was so excited to return to the state where I received the incredible blessing of being the 2012 Miss International and walk around downtown to show off my sparkly hat ;)

My first “go-to” destination was the well-known Millennium Bean! This beautiful peace of artwork has always been a piece that draws my curiosity and attention. Affectionately nicknamed “the bean”, Cloud Gate was created by Anish Kapoor in 2004 and has been a hot spot for tourists and beloved landmark for natives.


I had a blast taking pictures at the bean with tourists and visiting Millennium park dwellers. The next place I just had to visit was The Art Institute of Chicago. Every year they hold an event called “Wreathing the Lions.” Although I was not present for the ceremony, I did get a chance to see these massive but beautiful lions draped in holiday shrubbery.


My mom, dad and I strolled down the streets of Chicago enjoying the historic architecture and busy hustle and bustle. We certainly looked like tourists with our necks stretched back looking up at the tall elegant buildings. We shopped through WaterTower Place, stopping in The American Girl store (my childhood favorite) and the Lego store (still my dad’s favorite…) stopping to talk with tons of little girls and boys along the way. 

We enjoyed a lovely dinner in a beautiful restaurant overlooking the city, gave thanks for how blessed we are, and reminisced about love ones lost. I am so fortunate to have such loving supporting parents. They have given me so much stable ground to stand on now, as I continue growing in to an adult woman. I love you mom and dad. I am so happy we could spend a beautiful Thanksgiving in Chicago; it is one I will never forget!

“The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege.” –Charles Kuralt

XoXo,

Krista Wanous
Miss International 2012

Comments

Popular Posts