Food for the Brain

“Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy,” said Ben Franklin, but us teens do not take this as seriously as we should. Evidence suggests that teenagers are indeed sleep deprived. Sleep is vital to our well being. Sleep is as important to our lives as the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. Believe it or not, sleep can easily help you manage the stress of being a teen.

Yes, I am Miss Teen International, but I am still a regular teenager that goes to school, enjoys extra-curricular activities, has a summer job, and truly has a passion for helping my community. All of these make a good night's sleep almost impossible. I once studied for a Chemistry test until one o'clock in the morning. Many times I arrived home at midnight from basketball games and track meets, most of the time with homework calling my name, only to wake up early the next day to go back to school without the proper amount of sleep. As teenagers this happens to all of us. Not only are we exhausted, but we also start to become stressed.

Here are some tips to help you get a good night's sleep:

1. Make sure your room is clean. It helps keep you relaxed without all the clutter.

2. Do not consume caffeine late in the day and close to bedtime.

3. Do not eat, sleep, or exercise within a few hours of bedtime.

4. Do not leave homework for the last minute. (I like to do mine when I get free time at school. If I do not get free time, I do it as soon as I get home from school so I can enjoy the rest of the evening.)

5. To-do lists are your best friend! If you lay awake at night, make a to-do list, this will help your mind stop racing.

Remember, sleep is food for the brain, so try to incorporate these tips into your daily routine to help insure you are getting enough sleep. Being a teenager can be so challenging but with the extra sleep we deserve, we can absorb and succeed to the best of our ability!

“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible.” - Audrey Hepburn

Jules Fletcher
Miss Teen International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts