Quilting at the Iowa State Fair

While in Iowa my family and I decided to visit the State Fair. The fair was full of events and things to do! From milking cows to riding roller coasters we had a great time as a family. As we were walking through one of the buildings I started looking at the Blue Ribbon Quilts. I had no idea how to begin to make a quilt! I was impressed by the perfectly straight seams and intricate designs.


We continued to walk around and we came to a room full of people sewing, pinning, and ironing quilts. The sign said “State Fair Sew In”. As I was reading the posters a women came up and asked if I would be interested in volunteering to sew quilts for a list of local children's charities. My immediate response was “Well, I have no idea how to make a quilt but I know the basics of sewing… What can I help with?”



I started helping by safety pinning the different layers of the quilts together. After I finished helping a few people with that, they told me to pick out a quilting kit from a huge pile. Of course, I chose the purple and blue floral themed quilt. I began sewing the main strips of fabric together to create the design of the quilt then continued with the different steps until just before they closed for the day.



Once I start a project, I am determined to finish it. The next day I went back to finish my quilt. I would like to thank all of the ladies that helped me replace my bobbin or instruct me on what my next step should be! My quilt was the 275th quilt completed! I am glad I was able to make a long lasting gift for a child in need.


"Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds." -Orison Swett Marden

Garin

Comments

Popular Posts