The Importance of Hands Only CPR


As an ambassador for the American Heart Association it is my job to teach multiple things, one being the importance of CPR! Personally, I am CPR and First Aid Certified. I spend a lot of my time working with people, especially children, you never know when something bad may happen. Would you rather feel helpless in a situation or know how to save the day? My answer to that was clear, I couldn’t stand it if something went bad on my watch. While I encourage others to take a professional class and get certified, today I am going to teach everyone a few simple tips on Hands only CPR!


The American Heart Associations teaches two steps:

1. Call 911
2. Push Hard and Fast on the Center of the Chest

Step One- While speaking on the phone with the operator make sure to stay calm and speak slowly. In scary situations we tend to talk fast and possibly skip over important details. It is crucial that you know you are doing everything you can to help. Answer all of the operators questions, giving more specific details on where you are and what is happening with the person you are caring for. Stay on the line but place the phone on speaker and on the ground or flat surface next to you. Then, proceed to step two!

Step Two- Push Hard and Fast on the center of the persons chest. Your hands should be placed one on top of the other. Use mainly the bottom part of your palm to give a harder push. You should try to complete 100-120 pushes a minute. To make that speed easier to know or follow push to the beat of the songs “Stayin Alive” or “The Imperial March” ( Darth Vader’s Theme Song ). Remember! Even Hands Only CPR could double or triple the chance on survival!


At the Miss and Teen International Pageants we were taught hands only CPR! It was great for me to have a refresher course. The pictures below are of me practicing as well as a group photo after we were taught! A big thank you goes to the nurses that helped teach us that day, we really appreciate it! I encourage everyone to do their research. You never know when you could save a life!

"Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds." -Orison Swett Marden

Garin

Comments

Popular Posts