“The Last Heart Attack”

After I was done stuffing my face, the last thing that I expected to watch was a special on Heart Attacks.  But that is just what I did.  As I was flipping through the channels, I came across a special on CNN called “The Last Heart Attack.”  It was presented by CNN’s chief medical correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta.  It was by far one of the most informative specials that I have ever watched.  Dr. Gupta explored the ins and outs of heart disease from the perspective of the Dr., the patient, and the researcher.  Using former President Bill Clinton and other patients as “case studies” he interviewed them about their diet, exercise habits and medical history.  Each patient had a different story to tell, and took a different approach to treatment.  Some, such as President Clinton, took the traditional route, undergoing surgery and making drastic changes to his diet post operation.  Other’s, took the non traditional route, and adopted the controversial Esselstyn Diet in which they opt out of surgery and clear their arteries through changing the way that they eat.  I’m not talking, eating an occasional salad.  The diet’s focus is plant based nutrition, the mantra being, don’t anything with a face or a mother. This diet is still being studied and evaluated, anyone even considering it should consult their physician first.
   
Dr. Gupta spoke to experts about new developments in diagnosing, preventing and treating Heart Disease.  For me, the most fascinating segment was the one on diet and Heart Disease.  Did you know that there are some societies in which there are zero incidents of Heart Disease!  After much study, the reasons are obvious.  They lead very heart healthy lifestyles, the basis of which is a healthy diet.  Dr. Gupta also went out on a limb and had his own heart and arteries analyzed.  I encourage everyone to check out this informative special.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/19/heart.attack.proof.diet/index.html

It certainly opened my eyes and has made me commit to making some changes in my diet.
Best,
Ciji Dodds
Miss International 2011

Comments

Popular Posts