Quitting Junk Food

It has officially been 3 years since I have lost 70 pounds, while I still struggle on a daily basis to make healthy food choices, I am proud to say that I have kept the excess weight off!

Each and every single person’s fitness journey is different, what works for one person will not always work for another. I had to really focus on quitting junk food. I was a vegetarian (AKA a Carbatarian) so my usual meals consisted of pasta, pizza, or anything covered in cheese! While those items are ok in moderation, that is what my entire diet consisted of. Well, that potato chips, chocolate and soda.

Saying goodbye to my loved ones… HEHE I couldn’t help myself, I thought this was too funny!

After I learned how to make healthier food choices I realized I wasn’t able to put on muscle as easily as others. So I went to the doctor and found out I had a severe protein deficiency. I was shocked because I ate protein filled foods, aka protein bars and shakes. The doctor suggested I try adding chicken into my diet and after fighting him for 6 months, I finally caved. I have actually learned to enjoy chicken now and it has become a staple in my diet.

While I work every single day to be a healthier me, it is still a huge struggle for me. Hypothyroidism runs in my family and causes us to put on extra weight for no apparent reason. While I have managed to maintain my weight for some time now, I wanted to share my story because I know as pageant contestants we compare ourselves to other girls constantly. I wanted to let you know that everyone (even Miss International) struggles with their weight. You are not alone.

I will never be a size 0, and there is nothing wrong with that. Whether you are a double 0 or a size 16, you were made in gods glorious image. You were born to accept yourself for all of your beauty. I am a huge proponent of “every woman is beautiful, no matter her size” but I do also believe in health. As long as you are healthy and making the right nutrition and food choices you should be proud of your body!

I can’t wait to see you all very soon and good luck as these last few days progress before nationals!!!!

Ignite your spark,

Samantha Riddle
Miss International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts