Cemetery Clean Up

This weekend our community had a wonderful idea. We decided to have a community clean-up day at the historic cemetery. This has been an annual project for me, but this is the first year members of the community decided to join in. Because the cemetery is ancient the gates tend to be grown over with vines and trees that have stood for many years fall over on top of graves. We cut the trees and discard all of the unwanted limbs and vines. This is just to give such a beautiful cemetery the tender, love, and care it deserves. 

  
My dad and best friend accompanied me to this project. My best friend, Anna Kate, and I were very proud of “our pile.” Dragging branches can get pretty tiring, but the finished project looked magnificent. Because of my love of history I like to imagine what it looked like at its best. Although all of the gates are distorted and the gravestones are not aligned as they once were, I can still picture how beautiful it must have been all those years ago. This cemetery means a lot to me seeing that I have family buried there as far down the line as the late 1700s.

One of my favorite versions of volunteerism is random acts of kindness. Our community-wide clean-up was our random act of kindness. There are so many ways to make someones day, even if it is done with just a simple smile.

“Nothing is Impossible, the word itself say 'I'm Possible.”- Audrey Hepburn

Jules Fletcher
Miss Teen International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts