Creating The Person You Want To Be

“Life if not about finding yourself…it is about creating yourself.”

I read this quote the other day and something about it resonated with me. I’ve heard people say, especially college students, that they are trying to “find themselves”. Although I understood what they meant, as often times we go through experiences that shape who we ultimately become, I never really understood why people spent time trying to “find” the person they wanted to become. Why not create the person you want to be and work hard every day to reach that goal?

In 2nd grade, I remember my teacher asked my class to write a paper on what we wanted to be when we grew up. I kid you not, I said I wanted to be a wife, mom, and an obstetrician (I did have to ask my teacher how to spell this!). With my life experiences, the type of doctor I wanted to be changed, but if I were to write this same paper today, I would say “I want to be a wife, mom, and a psychologist”. At a very young age I knew what I wanted my life to look like, and I have worked hard to create the life that I ultimately want. I have put thousands of hours into my education and career, I am very selective about the type of men that I date, and I take care of my mental and physical health so that one day I can be a loving mother!


I am fully aware that not everyone knows what type of life they want in 2nd grade! I do think it is important to spend some time praying and thinking about what you want your life to look like in 5, 10, and 15 years. Create a vision board, journal about your life goals, or write encouraging messages to yourself…do what it takes to be the person God created you to be. What a blessing it will be to look back on your life and know that not only did you create a wonderful life for yourself, but you lived your life to the fullest!

Continuing to break the stigma,

Elise Banks
Miss International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts