Better Not Bitter


During our life, we are going to face challenge. It’s not “if” it is “when”. These challenging times are pivotal in shaping who we are and test our life in ways we never imagined. When I look at the dark times I’ve walked through… an eating disorder, the possibility of losing my mom to cancer and a brain tumor, losing my dear friend to a stroke, losing my grandmother too soon, and an unhealthy relationship… I realize that God never left my side and that they made me a better Amanda.

It would have been easy to become bitter and believe, “I guess this is it for me. Maybe I wasn’t made to something more. Do I even have a purpose?” But instead I used the challenges to make myself better and better those around me. The pain cannot go in vain… instead we have to use the pain for God’s glory and our good.

These are just a few examples of how my tests became a testimony and now serve a greater purpose. I share these to help inspire you to use your challenges for betterment instead of getting bitter.

The Eating Disorder: When I was in the depths… I never thought I’d over come this terrible disease. Instead of allowing it to take my life, I decided to grow True Beauty Movement to help cultivate positive body image and character in young women worldwide. My challenge now has impacted thousands of young women across the world and brought more glory to God than I ever imagined. The pain = purpose.

Losing Don Baker: On February 5th, 2016… I lost a man who had been on my team since I first started in pageantry 15 years ago. I didn’t know how I could prepare for Internationals without him… much less win. His stroke caused me to become truly passionate about preventing and bringing awareness to heart disease. Although he’s not with me anymore, I know he’s in heaven and smiles down on me each time I am working with the American Heart Association. His story… name… and legacy will now be heard by thousands when the EmPOWERED To Serve campaign for the American Heart Association launches in January.

Praise Jesus! Bitterness would have withheld God from blessing True Beauty and American Heart because my heart would’ve been cold.

When the storms come your way, I challenge you to look for the blessing in disguise and use your pain for purpose. Instead of sitting in self-pity… cope with the challenge and then set out on a mission to change the world. Your test will become your testimony.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts