Tips for Making the Most of Your Year


One of you reading this will be Miss International 2018. (Or maybe Miss Teen International or Mrs. International). My goal is to help you be the best titleholder that you can be.

Please note that these tips also apply to everyone continuing out their year with their current titles.

Tip 1: Plan your schedule ahead of time.

If you plan your upcoming year in advance, you will have more opportunities than if you wait until the last minute. Many people want to help you make the most of your year! However, people planning events and activities need a heads up if you will be in attendance. Giving many weeks notice instead of just a few days can make the difference of whether you have an opportunity to be a guest speaker or even be included in the program book. Many of these details are planned weeks before an event happens. If you wait too long to reach out to organizations they may not have a role for you... even if it’s the organization you usually work with! Don’t assume they know your availability or your personal goals for appearances.

Tip 2: Always have an updated bio/statement ready to distribute. 

This should be current in regards to what you’ve done as a titleholder as well as what you plan on continuing to do throughout your reign. In additional to your accomplishments, people want to know how this information pertains to them. This is especially true with media coverage. Why should they care? How does this affect the local community? What are you doing specifically to promote your platform and why does it deserve extra attention on tv, radio, or in print. Be current on special events, days, or “awareness months” that are pertinent to your platform work. This can also increase your chances of being covered in the news in order to reach a wider audience.


Tip 3: Be the first to introduce yourself. 

This is very important in order to promote your own platform as well as positively represent International Pageants wherever you go. This has served me well this year and I always travel with my Titlewear duffle bag as my carry-on for this reason. There have been countless times I have noticed someone looking at my bag with a face of curiosity, but 90% of the time they may have been too shy to ask about it. When standing in line at airports, for example, strike up a conversation. Most of the time when I’ve talked to someone first I’ve then been asked about what Miss International is... and I’m proud to tell them!


Tip 4: Communicate with your employers. 

I have been unbelievably fortunate to work at two locations that have allowed me flexibility with my travel schedule. You may have a set work schedule but that doesn’t mean it’s set in stone. One rule of thumb I’ve always followed is “if you don’t ask, the answer is always no.” This is especially relevant when requesting time off for events/appearances that are important to you. I found that by openly talking about my personal goals, my platform work, and my time restrictions, my employers were very understanding and supportive. However, if you just assume you have to follow the schedule that’s been set for you, you may miss out on some once in a lifetime opportunities.


I’m sure I have plenty more tips and lessons learned but for now I’ll summarize!
  • Map out your schedule for your year
  • Keep your bio current and handy 
  • Invite conversation wherever you go
  • Ask for support from your employer 
I’m so excited for your success!

In health and happiness,

Kelsey
Miss International 2017

Comments

Popular Posts