Miss International Leaves Her Bookprint in Haiti - Part 1

The entire reason that I took this trip was to ensure that my platform, Just Read-Fighting Illiteracy Starts With Your First Book, had a truly global impact. It is no secret that literacy is the gateway to a brighter future and is essential to breaking the cycle of poverty. Many countries struggle with the task of educating their population. This is true in Haiti and has taken on a new dimension since the earthquake. The earthquake ravaged the country in more ways than one, but children were especially impacted. Thousands of children were orphaned and orphanages have struggled to care for and educate these children.

While in Cap-Haitien, I visited one such orphanage. When I walked through the door I didn’t know what to expect, but I was immediately greeted by smiling faces. When we told them that I was there to give out books they were ecstatic. Coincidentally, my traveling companion Alejandra Barillas had brought back packs! It was the perfect combination.

Living in an orphanage, you have to share everything. Very rarely do you have something that is yours and yours alone. I wanted to give them something that they could call their own and at the same time, hopefully, spark a lifelong desire to learn. Here are a few pictures.

Alejandra distributed the back packs first, that way, the kids would have something to store their books in right away.


Before I distributed the books, we asked one of the children to read a story from one of them.

I don’t know who was happier me or the kids!



Mission Accomplished!!

A very special thank you to Anedie Azael for coordinating with the orphanage to make this all possible!

Best,


Ciji Dodds
Miss International 2011

Comments

Popular Posts