Last Words on Literacy

When I began this journey, I set out to inform as many people as possible on the importance of literacy.  Whether it was though reading a story at a local elementary school, donating books, or connecting an group of concerned parents to a literacy organization, I wanted to encourage, empower and educate the world on the importance of literacy.  I was raised to know and understand that education is power, and at its core is literacy.   It is with this belief that I sought to give others access to the power that so many of us take for granted.  The power to read is not just the power to pick up a book and understand its contents.  It is the power to pick up a newspaper and understand the world we live in.  To read a congressional bill and understand how it impacts you.  It is the power to read and understand a lease, so that you can make sure that your home is safe for your children.  Or in some cases to read a court document and understand your rights. 

The power to read has transformed societies, one person at a time.  Indeed, Literacy impacts us all.  I hope that I have conveyed that message to everyone that has read my blogs, I have met, read to, or even autographed a picture for.  Just Read, Fighting Illiteracy Starts With Your First Book- is not just my platform, it is my mantra and a personal mission.   As my time as Miss International winds down I am excited to enter the next phase of advocacy.  My work has just begun. 

Best,

Ciji Dodds
Miss International (for a few more days)

Comments

Popular Posts