Heart Health is a Family Affair


In 2007 my father was diagnosed with a heart disease called Atrial Fribrillation, in which the heart beats rapidly and erratically. At the time I was so young that I didn’t understand what was happening or
why my dad was in the hospital so often. But, through time my family realized the root cause of his heart disease was the way our family was living our every day lives. We all ate unhealthy and hardly
exercised. My parents were overweight and my father was a smoker for 35 years.

So, we decided to make a change.

We all began to exercise, eat healthier, lost weight, and my father quit smoking. Over the years my father’s condition, as well as the overall health of our family, has improved tremendously. With the help
of the American Heart Association my family was given the direction and support we needed to make this change.

Over the years, I have become deeply involved within this organization and it has grown very close to my heart. The mission set forth by the American Heart Association is simple, “To build healthier lives, free
of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.” That single purpose drives all that we do and the need for our work is beyond question. I’m honored to say I have been part of this organization and had the opportunity
to work side by side with the American Heart Association staff on some of the largest events in this organization.

With this said, I encourage you to make the decision. It starts with that. Decide to make the change. Know your family, access your environment, and DECIDE to make the change.

Check out the American Heart Association website at heart.org and the Alliance For A Healthier Generation at healthiergeneration.org for all your information! These websites have everything from heart healthy
recipes to easy exercises that you can fit into YOUR everyday life!

Specifically, I urge you to check out the American Heart Association’s Life’s Simple Seven Steps and My Life Check. Thanks to science and research, the American Heart Association has created this simple tool
so you know where you stand on your road to good health!

Choose to make the change now. If you don’t do it for yourself, do it for your family.

Much love,

Haley Rose Pontius

Comments

Popular Posts